Number of Chat Users in Nav Bar

BostonBob

Hello,

Like many of you, I had a difficult time when the chat room finally shut down.  But with some modifications, I've gotten ArrowChat to be a suitable replacement.  I've created a script that will grab the number of active users from the chat room.  However, I'm puzzled as to how to implement this into the NavBar as Invision Chat used to be.

How can I do a PHP Include -- in the Nav Bar?  Or is it even possible?

Thanks,

BB

This is the script I put together and do a simple php include on the forums front page.

<?php

$servername = "localhost";
$username = "usernsame";
$password = "password";
$dbname = "database";

// Create connection
$conn = new mysqli($servername, $username, $password, $dbname);

// Check connection
if ($conn->connect_error) {
die("Connection failed: " . $conn->connect_error);
} 

$chatters_online = 0;

$sql = "SELECT * FROM `arrowchat_chatroom_users` WHERE `session_time` > ( UNIX_TIMESTAMP() - 360 )";

$result = $conn->query($sql);

$row_cnt = mysqli_num_rows($result);

$chatters_online = $row_cnt;

echo $chatters_online;

$result->free();

$conn->close();

?>

Ah so arrowchat you install server side. I'm using Chatwee and need to utilize their api for user data then php include it.

Just found this 

Notification counts

ipsNotificationCount is a class for a floating bubble which can denote a notification count of some kind. The parent element should have a non-static position for this class to work correctly. By default, the notification bubble will be offset to the top and right, but this could be overwritten with additional specific styles if desired. Usage:

<!-- The element the notification belongs to -->
<!-- position: relative; is set inline here, but avoid that in practice -->
<a href='#' class='ipsButton ipsButton_primary ipsButton_medium' style='position:relative'>
	A button with notification
	<span class='<strong>ipsNotificationCount</strong>'>12</span>
</a>

This would render:

image.thumb.png.1c114a0e9fa37cc8a6ba88616f5f6f42.png

The problem is that the menu is generated within the framework.  I want to put a php include within a ipsnotification span to show the number of users online in the chat room, just as IPS used to do.  I don't see how they did it previously so I can't figure out how to replicate it.

I used ChatWee -- I couldn't stand the fact that the bubbles we so big -- if you have 10 people in a room you can't follow.  So I deleted it -- I had high hopes -- but in the end -- I was able to really customize Arrowchat to do all that I wanted.

17 hours ago, BostonBob said:

The problem is that the menu is generated within the framework.  I want to put a php include within a ipsnotification span to show the number of users online in the chat room, just as IPS used to do.  I don't see how they did it previously so I can't figure out how to replicate it.

I used ChatWee -- I couldn't stand the fact that the bubbles we so big -- if you have 10 people in a room you can't follow.  So I deleted it -- I had high hopes -- but in the end -- I was able to really customize Arrowchat to do all that I wanted.

yep, I see that. I'm not sure if you can manually add it to the navigation template. I put my chat # code into a pages block so I can call it within the IPS templates {block="chatwee_count"} but not sure how to add it to the primary menu item. 

A temporary solution might be to add it to the menu would be something like this to the global > navbaritems template at the bottom after all the code if you have the pages app using some template logic and blocks, or use php include and urls.

<li class='ipsNavBar_primary'>
  <a href='{pageurl="chatroom"}'>CHAT
	<span class='ipsNotificationCount'>{block="chatroom_count"}</span>
</a>
</li>

Here's a quick update on this as I'm messing around. If you create a menu item in the ips menu manager and use for the title 

Title <span class='ipsNotificationCount'>1</span>

You'll get the notification bubble with 1 in it, however I can't  seem to embed a block or template logic between the <span> in that count spot. Not sure about a php include or other.

Got it working. The IPS menu title does seem to accept html so I used for the menu title:

Chat<span class='ipsNotificationCount users-count'></span>

the <span class='users-count'></span> is called from a js file that grabs the data from the chatwee api. I ended up putting the js into a block and adding that block to the global template before the head and voila...seems to work and display chat count. :)

Hmmm... I can't seem to grab the count and post it.

So I thought about what you said, and that seemed like a decent work around -- converting the PHP script to making it look like a .JS file.

So right now I changed the code to this 

<?php

// Set the output as Javascript
header("content-type: application/x-javascript");

// Include connection info
$username = "dbusername";
$password = "dbpassword";
$dbname = "dbdatbase";

// Create connection

// Check connection
} 

$chatters_online = 0;

$sql = "SELECT * FROM `arrowchat_chatroom_users` WHERE `session_time` > ( UNIX_TIMESTAMP() - 360 )";

echo "document.write('<span class='ipsNotificationCount users-count'>$chatters_online</span>');";

$result->free();

$conn->close();

?>

Then I added a line to the .htaccess file to read the .php file 

Redirect /arrowchat/chat_count.js http://www.whatisyoursite.com/arrowchat/chat_count.php

Then I added to the Menu Manager  --

<i class="fa fa-comments"></i> Chat<script language="JavaScript" src="https://www.whatisyoursite.com/arrowchat/chat_count.js"></script>

Now I see that the JS is being included in the source code -- but the document is not parsing the JS.  Is there a way that you parsed the JS in the menu differently? 

I see it in the source code so it's including it -- but not parsing it.

I tried putting in the menu the code for insert into a site {{include '/arrowchat/chat_count.js';)} it didn't parse it -- as it just printed that.

Now I have the JS to print the code when calling it directly -- with a document print -- but I still can't include it.  Any ideas?

js and php doesn't work in the menu manager title directly. I've got it where the element with class="users-count" is calling the function from my js file, so then I just added the span and combined the classes. I'm not sure if you can call php variables in the menu. I'm calling from an API like so:

$(document).ready(function() {
		// use element with class="users-count" and call the function
        chatwee_getCount();
		// set interval to refresh
		window.setInterval("chatwee_getCount();", (10*1000));

});
function chatwee_getCount() {
		chatwee_getData(function(data){
	if(data.publicList.length===0)
	$('.users-count').hide();
	else
	$('.users-count').html(data.publicList.length);
	});
	}

Seems to work when I add in menu manager title:

Chat<span class='ipsNotificationCount users-count'></span>

image.png.b71c681c4f3acda736505397f9913fe9.png

The ipsNotificationCount is part of the IPS framework, users-count is the added # of chatters. 

I've still not figured it out as far as the number to post in the nav bar.

However I was able to post -- who's online and the total number of chatters on the front page using the php/text widget and this code to grab users / number of users for ArrowChat.

<?php

$username = "username";
$password = "password";
$dbname = "dbase";

// Create connection

// Check connection
} 

$chatters_online = 0;

$sql = "SELECT `name` from `core_members` WHERE `member_id` IN (SELECT `user_id` FROM `arrowchat_chatroom_users` WHERE `session_time` > ( UNIX_TIMESTAMP() - 360 ));";

$i = 1;

while ($row = $result->fetch_array())
	{
	echo $row['0'];

if ($i < $row_cnt)
   {
       echo ', ';
   }

$i ++;
}

echo "<br /><br /><strong>Total number of chatters online: ";
echo $chatters_online;

$result->free();

$conn->close();

?>

22 hours ago, BostonBob said:

I've still not figured it out as far as the number to post in the nav bar.

However I was able to post -- who's online and the total number of chatters on the front page using the php/text widget and this code to grab users / number of users for ArrowChat.

<?php

$username = "username";
$password = "password";
$dbname = "dbase";

// Create connection

// Check connection
} 

$chatters_online = 0;

$sql = "SELECT `name` from `core_members` WHERE `member_id` IN (SELECT `user_id` FROM `arrowchat_chatroom_users` WHERE `session_time` > ( UNIX_TIMESTAMP() - 360 ));";

$i = 1;

while ($row = $result->fetch_array())
	{
	echo $row['0'];

if ($i < $row_cnt)
   {
       echo ', ';
   }

$i ++;
}

echo "<br /><br /><strong>Total number of chatters online: ";
echo $chatters_online;

$result->free();

$conn->close();

?>

Screenshot of how it shows up?

thanks!

• 3 months later...
On 6/1/2017 at 6:35 PM, BostonBob said:

chat-room-users.thumb.jpg.cebca16c031e45746bb80ae4e6ef9759.jpg

I've been trying to implement this without success. How do you call the include? I assume you put the include file in the top level of IPB and you are calling it from the BoardIndexTemplate. I'm still on 3.4 by the way; wouldn't be the same code?

On 9/13/2017 at 4:13 AM, PPlanet said:

I've been trying to implement this without success. How do you call the include? I assume you put the include file in the top level of IPB and you are calling it from the BoardIndexTemplate. I'm still on 3.4 by the way; wouldn't be the same code?

Go to the front page of the site -- left arrow -- Manage Blocks

Insert -- PHP & TXT Widget

Then a <?php include_once("/path/to/phpscript/users-online-show-name.php"); ?>

Archived