Clubs - renaming the term "Clubs"

Vikestart

Can we please get an option to easily rename "Clubs" into something else? :rofl:

What kind of terminology fits better varies a lot from website to website. For gaming websites, "Guilds" might be a better word. Or "Cabals". Some places might prefer "Teams". It all depends on the nature of the website.

I'm only just beginning to explore Clubs and making use of it, and I'm very impressed so far. It seems like an incredibly powerful new feature, but for my site the term "Clubs" is very out of place, and it feels like that could be the case for a large number of sites out there just by thinking about it. :)

Just now, Adriano Faria said:

You can change to whatever you want in your ACP.

Where is this option? I know I can change the name of the menu item.

But I need the terminology to change everywhere. This includes the add new button, the activity stream, the settings, etc.

2 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

ACP -> Customization -> Languages. 

Yeah, but that involves editing a whole bunch of elements as far as I know.

My suggestion is that Clubs should have one single simple setting for what Clubs should be called.

5 minutes ago, Vikestart said:

Where is this option? I know I can change the name of the menu item.

But I need the terminology to change everywhere. This includes the add new button, the activity stream, the settings, etc.

Almost everything is language strings as adriano suggested You can chnage the names here ACP -> Customization -> Languages.  just search for clubs and chnage the name to whatever you want :) 

3 minutes ago, Vikestart said:

Yeah, but that involves editing a whole bunch of elements as far as I know.

My suggestion is that Clubs should have one single simple setting for what Clubs should be called.

They made it as lang bits, like all other apps/modules of the suite. I really doubt it will change someday.

6 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

This is the same for any app @Vikestart I doubt they will change the functionality just for one app.

Yeah. But the Clubs feature feels different from the other apps. They refer to a group of people. Or a recurring type of group within a community. It just seems a lot more natural to rename this than anything else. But I understand what you guys mean, it all being language strings. :p

Whilst editing via the method already mentioned is the usual way to go for most things, Vikestart brought up a good point; it is changing a lot of elements, and I do appreciate this capability myself (I have been using it more and more on my own site over the past few months), the fact is that this is from the announcement of Clubs:

There's a lot of scope for using clubs beyond allowing users to create their own groups. You do not even have to call them "clubs" if that does not suit your use case. For example, on a company intranet you could rename Clubs to "Departments", and create a private group for each of your main roles. This would allow each department to have its own community, with its own forums, gallery, file sharing and so on, private and separate from other departments.

Now, OK, you need to learn how to use the Suite if you're going to get anything done, we all know that so let's put that to one side for the moment.

The issue I have more than anything is that this particular part of the announcement presents this ability to rename Clubs almost as if anybody could do it... which, I'm sorry, but as a popular feature mostly because it's been done previously on social media, I don't think that is fair at all. Looking at the quote right now I have an urge to throw all kinds of asterisks in there.

So my question is: when this chunk of text detailing the flexibility of Clubs was put in did it actually refer to editing language strings, or was there something else in mind?

Exactly. I want to call all the Clubs on my forum Cabals.

Now I need to edit 9 pages of language strings. Considering how many people will probably want to call their Clubs something else, and that the language editor is a bit too advanced for the average user, I still think the Clubs naming should be an option in the Clubs settings.

2 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

The announcement says you can change it to whatever you want. It doesn't said you would change it via setting and the only way  is changing lang bits. 

And that's exactly how developers and seasoned IPS admins will take it. But this wasn't an announcement exclusive to that crowd; this was the big public announcement.

I don't know, maybe it was too much to expect something different.

1 minute ago, Simon Woods said:

And that's exactly how developers and seasoned IPS admins will take it. But this wasn't an announcement exclusive to that crowd; this was the big public announcement.

I don't know, maybe it was too much to expect something different.

Nah. You are reading between the lines. It's there. Better yet, it's NOT there. It didn't mention setting; it doesn't even mention lang bit... but that's how the whole suite works. 

Let's look, with these two next to each other:

There's a lot of scope for using clubs beyond allowing users to create their own groups. You do not even have to call them "clubs" if that does not suit your use case. For example, on a company intranet you could rename Clubs to "Departments", and create a private group for each of your main roles. This would allow each department to have its own community, with its own forums, gallery, file sharing and so on, private and separate fr

7 minutes ago, Vikestart said:

Now I need to edit 9 pages of language strings. Considering how many people will probably want to call their Clubs something else, and that the language editor is a bit too advanced for the average user, I still think the Clubs naming should be an option in the Clubs settings.

I just don't think that looks good at all.

Translating language strings and phrases is something that can be done very easily in the IPS.  You don't need additional coding knowledge, you don't need a special feature built to translate one app's name when IPS has a comprehensive system of translating everything, and it's all done through the ACP.  It's easy to work with even for someone has no programming knowledge.  

IPS wrote an entire series of guides to get you acquainted with languages:

You should skip ahead to "Translating using the standard editor" 

We did think about having a dedicated setting, but as Meddysong says, while in English you can just add or remove a trailing "s" to make it plural or not (usually... that wouldn't work for some words) and change uppercase to lowercase depending on the context - that doesn't work for many other languages.

Fortunately though, as others have pointed out, changing any phrasing that is used is really easy:

1. Go to AdminCP > Customization > Languages
  2. Click the "Translate" button
  3. Type the word "club" into the search box
  4. Everything club related will come up (perhaps you want to change "Club Moderator" to something like "Guild Master" for example - all those phrases will be included too) - for any you want to change, just type your new version in the box - you don't need to click "Save", it will save as you go.

If you prefer to edit in context, click the "Translation Tools" button on the Languages page and you can enable Quick Translating which allows you to click and hold on any phrase as it appears on the front-end to change it.

• 1 year later...
18 minutes ago, The Asian said:

Bumping this topic as my question pertains to this. How do I change the URL from /clubs to what I want it to be?

This can be done by editing the friendly URL for the clubs page.

ACP: System > Advanced Settings > Friendly URLs Tab > Do a Ctrl+F search for Clubs to find the friendly URLs related to clubs you want to change.  Make note only to change the actual word "clubs" in the "Friendly URL" field, not the "Real URL" field.  You should not change/remove anything else listed in either fields as well.

26 minutes ago, GASR said:

This can be done by editing the friendly URL for the clubs page.

ACP: System > Advanced Settings > Friendly URLs Tab > Do a Ctrl+F search for Clubs to find the friendly URLs related to clubs you want to change.  Make note only to change the actual word "clubs" in the "Friendly URL" field, not the "Real URL" field.  You should not change/remove anything else listed in either fields as well.

I totally forgot that's a thing. I don't know why I tried to edit the club module in the back end. 

Archived