Clicking Existing Reactions

Nick²

Right now, when you click an existing reaction (that is, someone else's reaction, with the number of users that had that reaction beside it), it opens the list of users with that reaction.  However, in a lot of other applications that implement reactions, this actually adds that reaction for yourself.  I realize this can probably be achieved with a small template change, but it just feels odd since I'm used to it adding that reaction for me, and instead I'm getting a modal.  Perhaps clicking the number can show who had that reaction, and clicking the reaction itself can add it?

I'll be honest, I don't want this. I like to select my reaction from the reaction menu and I want to see who reacted from the 'reacted" list. If I clicked on that and it would react it would be disastrous for me as I may not agree with that reaction but I want to see who reacted that way to understand the context.

I've never experienced what you describe Nick and I feel it would be detrimental overall.

My use of reactions has been primarily in Slack and Discord.  Perhaps the more ephemeral nature of those (being chat applications rather than forums) is why they do it that way--hovering to see who reacted in a tooltip, clicking to also have that reaction yourself.  Looking at Facebook however, I see that IPS's implementation is similar to theirs, which I imagine will actually be more natural to most people.

In any case, I'm sure customizing it either way should just end up being a minor theme edit in the end!

Archived