What happened to 3.x support forums??

Hold on, let's all step back.  For the OP, you need to send in a ticket, post in Feedback, or directly contact Lindy or Charles.  Conversing with other clients isn't going to help you, because we have no ability to help solve your concern.  All we can do is pretend to explain why IPS did what they did (even though we have no clue.  For all we know Charles hiccuped and accidentally clicked delete!)

I personally agree that removing the forums for 3.x was a clear marketing move to force clients to upgrade to 4.x. It is what it is, and most of us have upgraded.  With that said, you'll find 4.x to be a great software with a lot of modern touches that are absolutely needed in today's market like responsive design and a modern Editor.

There was the occasional topic in there from those still running 2x too, although to be fair I do not recall seeing a 2x support topic for a good few months now at least, I can't remember the last time I saw a 1x topic either... Many many moons ago no doubt.

I see no harm in keeping these 3.x topics in a separate section with access only to clients or to people somehow identified as using 3.x.

But honestly I also see IPS's position, it's time to move on really... soon no one will remember 3.x, or no one should!

19 minutes ago, -FP said:

I see no harm in keeping these 3.x topics in a separate section with access only to clients or to people somehow identified as using 3.x.

But honestly I also see IPS's position, it's time to move on really... soon no one will remember 3.x, or no one should!

1) identifying clients using 3.x to restrict a forum... More difficult than you might think. 

2) It's not about forgetting 3.x.  It was a great evolution of the IPS product line that took it from a hobby forum to a true enterprise platform.  It's about focusing resources rather than fragmenting them. 

I can tell you that it was a pain to search for something and end up with 3.x results... I'd either have to run a custom search and exclude those forums or keep dealing with the mixed data.  The quick search proved difficult to use.

57 minutes ago, Aiwa said:

It's about focusing resources rather than fragmenting them. 

What kind of resources does keeping few forums visible involve, really?

I am also on 4.x, but I sympathize with the OP. Especially for IP.Content, there was invaluable knowledge in these forums. Not all of the functionality can be replicated in Pages. Some of it might be crucial to someone who decides to risk the security issues, but to postpone the upgrade until Pages and Content are feature matched. Most people assume that the ones that don't upgrade are just cheap to renew their license, while there are other reasons for postponing an upgrade.

Again, I can understand if IPS refuses to do anything related to 3.4., I even understand if they don't want discussion about 3.4 here, but at least keep the forums visible and searchable so all that knowledge is not lost. 

1) Moderation

2) There may be good legacy content, but I can almost bet you that 95% of all new questions about 3.x are going unanswered, adding to frustration. And frustration on the 4.x side when half the topics returned on search don't apply because they are from 3.x. 

I never said anything about clients refusing to upgrade being cheap. Don't put words in my mouth. 

5 minutes ago, Aiwa said:

1) Moderation

2) There may be good legacy content, but I can almost bet you that 95% of all new questions about 3.x are going unanswered, adding to frustration. And frustration on the 4.x side when half the topics returned on search don't apply because they are from 3.x. 

I know am not native in english, so probably there are communication issues here, so maybe I should repeat it again - those forums are valuable even if closed and locked. What kind of moderation and frustration of unanswered topics are involved for locked, but visible forums?

7 minutes ago, Aiwa said:

I never said anything about clients refusing to upgrade being cheap. Don't put words in my mouth. 

I never said this comment was towards you. In fact I started my sentence with "Most people assume..."

As for the searching...yeah, minor inconvenience, which I will gladly endure for the benefit of having mine, your and everyone else's helpful contributions in these forums survive. 

I am not sure how reliable are the cookie reports of digitalpoint, but they still show 10% on 3.x., which is a lot. These guys maybe don't deserve active support, but they deserve at least to be able to try to look the answer of an issue they may have. Removing these forums is alienating them and when the time comes for upgrade, I am not sure they will upgrade to 4.x if this is IPSs attitude towards them. 

There may be nothing you can do. 

If anything will rebuild the cache, it's upgradeFinish. 

With the upgrade to 4.2, IPS MAY have broken that feed. They may not support 3.x, but they also shouldn't actively break it. 

Unfortunately I don't think anyone here without access to your site backend would be able to help you efficiently... fixing that would require taking a look at logs, accessing files or possibly running some sql queries.

It's a messed up situation with the EOL stuff and all that... hopefully someone from the IPS staff will be able to help you under the table... or in their spare time or whatever.

I don't know, try to get to the logs generated by that error and paste them here... otherwise we are just guessing.

Just tell me what logs you need and I will try to get them. Although I dont think its about logs. You can see the page is broken and is most likely because the feed from IPB is breaking my code. I just need to edit the correct files and take it out but I need to know which files.

Archived