Duplicate user with Twitter and Facebook Sign in?

pequeno

Hello,

For now, I am not allowing Sign In users with Twitter and Facebook accounts.

I want to put this feature, but I have several questions:

1.- When someone Sign In via Twitter or Facebook, is an user account automatically created with their data?

2.- If someone is already registered with IPS system, and now Sign In with Twitter or Facebook, a new account is created and then the user will have two: one created through IPS and now another because he accessed with Twitter or Facebook ?

Let's say someone created an account on your site using an email address.

If then they go and try to login or register using FB or Twitter (or other login handler), the system will check the email address they have on FB or Twitter and see if there's an existing account with the same email. If there is, the user will be prompted to link the accounts by providing his existing account password.

So, yes, it can happen that one specific person used X email to initially sign up on your site, and then they try to sign in with social media but they have a different email there... a new account would be created.

Now, they can always go to the account settings and manually link the accounts even if the emails are different.

As for question one, when you configure the social login handlers you can choose if the user is created with their social media name, or if they are prompted to choose a user name.

Thank You @-FP

You have explained it perfectly.

One question about this:

8 hours ago, -FP said:

Now, they can always go to the account settings and manually link the accounts even if the emails are different.

This happens if a user has two accounts? For example one created previously with IPS and then another with another mail with Twiter or Facebook?

How to link the accounts? How does the system know that the two accounts are of same user? When you link the accounts the accounts merged in one account?

Thank you for your explanations.

11 hours ago, pequeno said:

How to link the accounts?

you more than likely would have to merge the accounts in ACP.

How does the system know that the two accounts are of same user?

usually validates against email address if both have the same email

u link the accounts the accounts merged in one account?

mhmm

1 hour ago, MADMAN32395 said:
13 hours ago, pequeno said:

u link the accounts the accounts merged in one account?

mhmm

Sorry, my question is about the @-FP comment.

21 hours ago, -FP said:

they can always go to the account settings and manually link the accounts even if the emails are different.

¿they? ¿the users can link (merge) the account?

I have not linked Twitter:

etWyn2p.png

If I were to click it, it would take me to Twitter, where it would ask me to accept to use my twitter account on my site if I was already logged in to twitter, or it will ask you to login to your Twitter account to link it.

I linked my Google account.

xGfbebc.png

So when I want to login to my site I just click the Google button in the Sign In form and done.

TLj8mLy.png

I had my doubts about this in the beginning, I had the same doubts and questions as you, but after more than a year using it can't recommend it enough, I noticed an increase in new users and activity thanks to this, haven't really have a problem with people having different accounts. I'd say most of the people use the same email for almost everything.

Just so you see, this is what I got when I clicked to link Twitter:

RTcr5Zc.png

Then I'd login to my twitter account (it doesn't matter if the email is different compared to my existing account on the site). After you Sign In in twitter in that screen, you will be redirected back to the site you linked to account to.

Lastly @pequeno, make sure you enable this when you create the Twitter application (it's not expalined by the IPS guide I think), otherwise your site won't be able to check the email to compare it on your site and link the accounts when someone tries to sign in or sign up with it. I just noticed I myself forgot to enable it...

Jso6JbI.png

Hello. I tested sign in with Facebook and sharing a post, but when post is sharing in Facebook, the image is diferent to "sharier image" that I configured in ACP.

5925960b847e3_Capturadepantalla2017-05-24alas16_14_56.png.26ef90d9b8693ffe45d4a83cd8959994.png
Sharer image different from my sharer image in ACP. I want my website logo.

Do you have problems with this @-FP?

Other question about is that the share check only appears in new post but not in replies. I think that who the  system works.

Archived