CPU Usage

Soupy1985

Hey Guys 

My current hosting provider keeps suspending my forum due to CPU Usage.

have you guys got any advice how to lower this?

CPU Time Usage  

Last 2h 5152.10/4000 warn.png

Last 24h Graph 29668.15/20000 warn.png

Account Executions  

Last 2h 11625/4000 warn.png

Last 24h Graph 66473/20000 warn.png

James

You need to fix your graph.

We also need to know about the forum, and the server.

How many members do you have? How many topics? Posts? What services do you have? How active is the forum? Would you be opposed to moving to the Invision provided cloud service?

What is your server? Dedicated? VPS? Shared?

5 hours ago, Donkerrood said:

Have you switched off OPcache? That resolved the issue for me.

Yup this should fix it.

An issue has been identified with PHP7.1 when using the Zend Opcache extension that may cause features on your site, such as member posting, not to work correctly. To resolve this issue, please disable the Zend Opcache PHP extension. The underlying issue is related to a third party library used by the Community Suite which has been updated in our upcoming 4.2 release, at which point the Opcache extension may be re-enabled.

We really do not know if this is what the OP has an issue with @nodle

For all we know he is on shared hosting.... or a vps is what it sounds like, and the forum might of gotten a spike in usage, or something potentially bad happening in the background.

Hence why what @Mack_au posted is so relevant. 

.... and considering the OP has posted that his site was previously hacked...

I suspect it is more of that.... than him having a high load due to Php 7.

3 hours ago, Maksim said:

I suspect it is more of that.... than him having a high load due to Php 7.

I was one of the original ones that ran across this and support troubleshoot this issue which was almost maxing my CPU. So yes it will cause a problem like this which is why I posted the official quote from IPB on the matter. Now could it be something else? Sure there are tons of things. But this is the first thing to try since it is a known issue.

1 hour ago, Soupy1985 said:

Quick update:

I use shared hosting, with about 300 visitors at a time.

i have limited the amount google can crawl and that has fixed the problem for now untill I can dig deeper.

thanks 

That would be likely the problem.

Is that 300 at a time as per what IPB said.... or 300 at a time as per Google Analytics Real Time?

Also, the 300, is it mostly members or guests?  Legit traffic?

If it is, and your site is being successful,  time to get off shared hosting.

15 hours ago, nodle said:

I was one of the original ones that ran across this and support troubleshoot this issue which was almost maxing my CPU. So yes it will cause a problem like this which is why I posted the official quote from IPB on the matter. Now could it be something else? Sure there are tons of things. But this is the first thing to try since it is a known issue.

Yes, correct and it is an issue, but you are throwing out a solution to a least likely problem.  =)

Based on the user posting his "stats" in the first post, you got a sense that it was shared hosting, followed by him being hacked before.... the most likely issue was not the php 7.1 bug.

Beyond that, very few reputable hosts load Php 7.1.X out of the box for their hosting, unless you request it, the last 3 new servers (dedicated and VPS) I had setup were 5.6, and before anyone even thinks 7, they ask to make sure there will not be compatibility issues with existing scripts. 

All I am saying is why not get a few facts straight before blurting out "solutions" to the wrong problem. 

Archived