Fluid view - make pinned topics option public

jair101

I think each user should decide on his own whether he wants to see pinned topics or not. It can be a simple checkbox somewhere in the forum widget on the right. 

There are valid reasons to hide pinned topics  - when many forums are selected with many pinned topics they will hide the most recent discussions). There are also valid reasons to show the pinned topics - when fewer forums are selected, one or two pinned topics wouldn't hurt and actually pinned topics usually represent the most important piece of information. Pardon me if I am wrong, but in fluid view with hidden pinned topics there is no way to get to these topics?

In my opinion whether to show or hide pinned topics shouldn't be just an admin preference, but should be separate for each user and even each user should be able to change it depending on his current use case. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to kindly bump this (only once, I promise).

I can't believe I am the only one bothered by the fact that pinned topics are unreachable in fluid view if they are marked to be hidden in the ACP. Having this as a user preference instead of admin one is much more preferable. 

I'll be honest I don't have a preference either way. My site is too large for fluid view to really work (at least my main site). I doubt for my smaller site that it will be necessary either as I don't plan to have that many pinned topics.

Would be nice to have 2 different kind of pinned topics, one that admin/mod set that cannot be unpinned for super important topics you don't want them to take down. Then let users also set their own personal pinned topics throughout the site.

Perhaps place a gear menu (⚙️) to the right of the SORT BY menu. This configuration menu could have various settings for this view:

• Pin Topics
  • Ascending Sort
  • etc.

Not sure how many user selectable settings should be supported, but I agree that Pinning Topics should be user selectable and this setting be remembered by Fluid View until the user changes this setting explicitly. The SORT BY setting could even be moved inside this settings menu since it is very rarely used (at least, by me) and doesn't really need to be so visible on the page.

UPDATE: Could also add a Moderate Topics setting that would show/hide the select boxes, if the user has the ability to moderate topics. This would allow the moderator to see the same view that users are seeing and only clutter the view with the extra checkboxes when moderation of the list is necessary (which is rarely used, at least, by me).

UPDATE 2: Another possible user selectable setting is whether the list should be shown with pagination or infinite scroll. Most websites now use infinite scroll instead of pagination (especially on mobile devices). I actually prefer infinite scrolling (even on the desktop) unless I want to jump to a specific page quickly (especially the last page in the list). Having a user toggle for this setting would be very useful to me (this even applies to reading replies and other lists that are now paginated). Sometimes, pagination works best, but more often, infinite scroll is better (at least for lists that start at page 1).

Good idea, but sometimes, pinned topics are just too important, that users should be able to click them away forever.

I would suggest to implement a feature on the user frontend like "Click away until changes are made to pinned topics"

So if nothing changes, pinned topics don't annoy you anymore, but if something changes, the changed pinned topics should be displayed (and can be clicked away again)

On 5/27/2017 at 4:43 AM, daveoh said:

Would be nice to have 2 different kind of pinned topics, one that admin/mod set that cannot be unpinned for super important topics you don't want them to take down. Then let users also set their own personal pinned topics throughout the site.

You can let your users use Bookmarks by @fosters

14 hours ago, Joel R said:

You can let your users use Bookmarks by @fosters

To be honest it's not something I would really pester the devs to be included, I know they don't want to fill the software full of code for every option you can think of, just throwing an idea out there.

Wasn't aware there was a plugin that did this, I don't venture too much into the marketplace. I don't want to knock any developers but I try to stay 3rd party plugin free unless absolutely necessary. Not unusual for a dev to stop supporting updates which is fine, they can do that, just wouldn't want to rely on features through plugins that could be gone at anytime.....which can happen with core updates but less likely unless it's a major update.

• 2 months later...

I have several pinned topics in every of ~10 forums. Having them pinned in the Fluid View makes the latter totally unusable. The whole first page consists entirely of pinned topics. I was so thrilled to hear about the Fluid View, and now I hate to say that I have completely turned it off. Darn.

Upd. Just find the setting not to Honor Pinned Topics. Silly me!

Archived