Question about IPB hooks/plugins

Hey so I've got a few questions about IPB plugins/hooks;

1) I'm running IPB 3.4.8 and I don't want to upgrade to 4+ because I'm comfortable with how this works, and my community is established, no need for me to retstart. With that being said, will plugins developed for 4.0, 4.1 etc work on my version (3.4.8)?

2) If not, where can I get 3.4.x plugins/hooks? I know IPB has discontinued development for 3.4.x but I still need some and I figured there have got to be places around that still offer older material

thanks

24 minutes ago, Hannibal Lecter said:

no need for me to retstart.

you dont restart, its an upgrade.

25 minutes ago, Hannibal Lecter said:

can I get 3.4.x plugins/hooks? I know IPB has discontinued development for 3.4.x

you dont. 3.x is dead, let it rest in piece. 

22 minutes ago, Hannibal Lecter said:

Not what I asked

Well, its a forum. Everyone is free to express their opinion on the subject and you can’t stop people from saying stuff just because you don’t like to hear them. I would also argue, that you need to hear that running such an outdated software is a bad choice and it will get worse over time. You don’t even have the latest 3.4 version, so your site has known security holes and is likely to be hacked for example. 

1 minute ago, opentype said:

Well, its a forum. Everyone is free to express their opinion on the subject and you can’t stop people from saying stuff just because you don’t like to hear them. I would also argue, that you need to hear that running such an outdated software is a bad choice and it will get worse over time. You don’t even have the latest 3.4 version, so your site has known security holes and is likely to be hacked for example. 

I agree, but when I'm asking questions I'm not really interested in opinions on what I'm using, just how it's used, it's really just seen as arrogance other wise. But on topic I agree I'm using outdated forum software, but if I were to upgrade to 4.x wouldn't I lose all my forums themes, customizations, and all of the files from the database? like essentially all my posts/topics/etc?

In an upgrade from v3 to v4, you will not lose any posts, topics, members, or other user-submitted content. However, you will lose all 3rd-party skins, hooks, or apps. This is unavoidable, I'm afraid.

Also please note that we can perform the upgrade on your behalf, you'd only need to file a support ticket to start the process.

Now is a good time to upgrade to v4.x, if you're so inclined.  You're past its initial development phase and you'll find that many of the most popular IPB themes, applications, and plugins have been updated from 3.4.x to 4.x by the Marketplace authors, so you'll be able to benefit from all the new features and modernisations of 4.0 while still retaining the customization that you like.

Even though you lose third-party customisations as they are, some third-party developers did carry over their products into 4. Since that's what you were asking about, the best way to get help with that is to contact the third-party developers themselves.

If you take a look around this site you will see where third-party developers can be found. As Joel said, now is a good time to upgrade but if you are still looking for help with third-party items there is a good chance that the relevant developers spend their time here or at least have a reachable presence, so either way it's a good time to become familiar with this site.

FWIW there are a number of members of this site who are willing to help with advice and info regarding upgrading, specifically when it comes to managing third-party items. If you consider doing that then all you need to do is either find existing topics about the process or start one of your own to ask for help.

I can also vouch for this:

51 minutes ago, Mark H said:

Also please note that we can perform the upgrade on your behalf, you'd only need to file a support ticket to start the process.

IPS handled my upgrade, at the same time as a conversion from self-hosted to their Cloud package. The support was top class throughout.

Archived