Some imageproxy artefacts

jair101

I am posting this here, because support was unable to help me (can't reproduce), although the issue is pretty common, at least on my board. 
Occasionally in a post with many attachments, there are few dead links pointing to imageproxy, like these:

chrome_2017-05-11_23-02-58.png

I actually saw this on this website as well, but forgot to save the post. This happens on various users, at various times and for now I am not able to track it. I believe it is somehow related to editor dynamic saving, but I cannot confirm. Do you have similar issue on your boards and have you been able to resolve it?

What are your image proxy re-polling options? Is it set to save it forever or is it set to re-cache them after X amount of days? I ask because I wonder if the original link is gone and so when it tries to re-cache the image is gone and of course it's already gone from your server.

Edit: You can verify this by grabbing the actual URL from the code and entering it into your browser.

10 hours ago, Morrigan said:

What are your image proxy re-polling options? Is it set to save it forever or is it set to re-cache them after X amount of days? I ask because I wonder if the original link is gone and so when it tries to re-cache the image is gone and of course it's already gone from your server.

Edit: You can verify this by grabbing the actual URL from the code and entering it into your browser.

It is set to cache forever and my members are predominately uploading their own images (like the ones you see on the top and bottom of the screenshot). I mean they don't upload, stop uploading to use remote images, then start uploading again. Basically these are some fake broken images, thats the link contained in the broken ones, no actual file is references: 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=e53f7c14265b8919

Yeah, it definitely is related to the fact that some users have problems uploading. I asked one of the users about it, she replied that she had navigated away while uploading and when she returned back to the editor it had those broken image tags. I tried, but I couldn't replicate it. 

Anyway, it is common enough and happens on different users, which leads me to think there is some work to be done to make the editor/imageproxy foolproof. 

If they navigated away did they come back and the images were still there or no? Because I've had it to where if I leave the page and come back and post it it will have previously uploaded items that shouldn't have uploaded as I decided not to. But that's not IPS' fault. I didn't delete them so they were still there and needed to attach to something.

Just now, Morrigan said:

If they navigated away did they come back and the images were still there or no? Because I've had it to where if I leave the page and come back and post it it will have previously uploaded items that shouldn't have uploaded as I decided not to. But that's not IPS' fault. I didn't delete them so they were still there and needed to attach to something.

Yes, all images are still there. So they upload two files, navigate away, return and there are two files and few broken image links. Something like that, as I said, I wasn't able to replicate it and you cannot always rely on the users report to see what is going on. 

I upload everything that I can to my server and I've not seen this. I did have a user that posted 5 images, two of which didn't show up and then they suddenly did. No idea what caused it but it was the first and last time I've ever seen it.

It's difficult because the only thing that you've pointed out that is proven is that it's specific users. Which means those users are likely doing something the same that is doing this. Could it be that they tried uploading it direct to the editor (which is currently not possible until 4.2 version). It will show the image there but once it's submitted it would be gone because the current editor changes those into base 64 images which doesn't work.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived