I have to give props to the IPS team

Matt C.

I'm not currently running any forum (I used to), but I love forum softwares and I always check in on various softwares to see what's new. I have to say that I think the IPS team is doing amazing things with IPB. I see a lot of new stuff and innovation that other forum softwares would leave to addon developers. 

I see so much new stuff, especially with IPB 4.2 coming soon, that I'm tempted to renew my license just to test stuff out locally. 

Keep up the amazing work. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/24/2017 at 1:45 PM, Lindy said:

I say don't resist temptation any longer. Renew that license! :)

Seriously though, thank you for the kind words. The guys have worked tirelessly on 4.2 and it shows; we're really excited! 

I finally bit the bullet. I couldn't resist, I had to renew it. :lol:

2 hours ago, Matthew H. said:

I finally bit the bullet. I couldn't resist, I had to renew it. :lol:

Yup. 4.2 is pretty freaking awesome! :thumbsup:

Once I'm done with my current project, I can see another 5 new purchases of this software for other projects that will be slam dunks with 4.2. It's that good IMO. ;)

I'm gonna have to feed into this......

I'm not a developer, I'm just a server owner under the Cloud plan, and I have to give it to IPS, even with the older versions, they have always made a 100% attempt to help all owners that aren't devs, but want to run a community! And all I can say is wow!, everyday that I look at my Community, I smile wide cause of the AWESOMENESS IPS has put into all this, and the 1000% satisfaction Guaranteed Support they give! Keep up the hard and good work @IPS News and IPS Staff

I like the tweet to this topic, "resistance is futile", which reminds me it's that time of year again, any chance of all topic links to take you to the first unread post or at least a setting? Come on, resistance is futile, I will get it anyway even if it means editing my templates. :rofl:

9 hours ago, daveoh said:

I like the tweet to this topic, "resistance is futile", which reminds me it's that time of year again, any chance of all topic links to take you to the first unread post or at least a setting? Come on, resistance is futile, I will get it anyway even if it means editing my templates. :rofl:

I think they made this change a couple of versions back.  You should check the release notes. 

There's also a plug-in (I believe by @Edward Shephard) for the same functionality.  

IPS 4.2 is simply awesome. :)

The new feature I'm most excited about: Clubs.

It opens up a whole new world of possibilities. I hope to see this feature expanded upon in the future because there's almost no limit to how far it can go.

6 hours ago, Joel R said:

I think they made this change a couple of versions back.  You should check the release notes. 

There's also a plug-in (I believe by @Edward Shephard) for the same functionality.  

That's only for activity streams which is great...unless you don't use them. 

If you click a topic title from the home page that takes you to the last unread but from within a forum the first post, that makes little sense to me. Search results make a little more sense.

If you open the Twitter app for example you are left where you last visited, can start from where you left off. They don't set you back to the beginning of time. 3rd party Twitter apps let you sync your position across devices as they know it can be frustrating switching from iPad to iPhone and losing where you are. 

Book bookmarks......ok no more analogys.

Whilst I wouldn't expect IPS to change it just for me, you will find many on this site that would like the same. Just a setting in the admin panel that's all or even better a per user setting.

Its no major on my site now as I make the template edits, still super frustrating when I go on other IPS sites, 80% of the time I'm on mobile and pressing that dot can be a pain in the bottom. 

I also don't see it as user friendly at all, if you are new to forums and a mobile only user which a growing number are now, how would you know the dot did that as there's no tooltip.

I try not to rely on plugins, you can be held back or lose functionality if it's not updated to support later versions. I will only suggest changes publically if I think it will be welcomed by more than just myself.

Anyhow I don't want to hijack this topic, props to the IPS team for 4.2, new features are great even if I'm not 100% on certain bits of the new look. 

It's obviously always good to get software updates, but the impending 4.2 update is by far the most exciting.  And not only for all the great features that the staff have worked so hard to implement, but also because they open up new possibilities for future expansion.  My favourite feature right now is Clubs, which is great as is but also because of what it can become - especially if it's integrated with Pages functionality.

Anyway... yeah, kudos to the IPS team for proving themselves a company I'm happy to support.

"4.2?  Ohhhh, shut UP and TAKE MY MONEY!" :p

Archived