Preventing Guests from Seeing Who's Online Activity?

craigf136

Hey folks!

Pretty simple problem, but can't find the solution. I am running a contest on my forum and use the Pages app for some hidden content. Back before, there was an option to prevent certain user groups from seeing the Who's Online? list, including what each person was viewing. I'd like to replicate that once again; however, there's only an option to totally prevent a group from seeing who's online. I'm hoping there's a PHP snippet someone might know on disabling the activity view to certain group?

Here's what I mean:

1bb36870ccd39c3f81eedcb3803743e3.png

Notice that viewing topic link? I was hoping to remove that.

Many thanks! :)

Well, you could certainly modify templates.  onlineUserlist would be the big online list if you want to shut it off.

But user's location appears in several places (hovers,profile).  So you try and find the templates (hovercard,onlineUsersRow,profile are one's I know of) to hide the location possibly based on a generic permission or totally.  Problem is there maybe other places it is used I did not find when I was looking into it a few days ago.  On 3.4 I change PM location to generic index so people PMing would not be obvious.

Modifying that many templates though is a maintenance pain...

15 minutes ago, clearvision said:

Well, you could certainly modify templates.  onlineUserlist would be the big online list if you want to shut it off.

But user's location appears in several places (hovers,profile).  So you try and find the templates (hovercard,onlineUsersRow,profile are one's I know of) to hide the location possibly based on a generic permission or totally.  Problem is there maybe other places it is used I did not find when I was looking into it a few days ago.  On 3.4 I change PM location to generic index so people PMing would not be obvious.

Modifying that many templates though is a maintenance pain...

That certainly disables it a ton, haha. But it affects all the usergroups in that scenario, although I highly doubt people will go to another's profile just to look for the viewed page. That's saves me time on that! 

This is a particular topic that almost has exactly what I need.

Hi @craigf136
I'm not sure if the is exactly what you want, but I don't allow guests to click usernames, or see last activity, this means they can't hover over a members name and see where they are.

There's a couple of settings built in to achieve this;
ACP > System > Applications > click the > on system and a drop down list will appear.

Profiles

module__core_activity

Online User List

Status Updates

Untick GUESTS and see if that works for you and does what you want it to.

Archived