Does IPS not fully allow responsive Adsense in mobile?

gavpedz

You cant edit the Adsense code itself. However if you wanted to you could removed the CSS code from ips and then directly add the CSS to the Adsense  ad code. Basically it's easier to edit the custom CSS than it is to edit each individual ad. From what I can gather. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look what i just found! We were discussing here how google won't allow square ads in the header, well it looks like this may possibly change! https://adsense.googleblog.com/2017/05/may2017-policy-update.html I have not noticed a change on my site yet though. 

More advertising options for the mobile web

Tuesday, May 02, 2017
At Google, our policy teams are constantly looking for ways to improve the experience for everyone in the mobile digital advertising ecosystem - users, advertisers and publishers.  Part of this involves listening to our mobile publishers concerns. One such concern that we are addressing in this policy update involves the limitations we’ve previously placed on 300x250 sized ad units.

We recognize the frustration around limitations we’ve placed on this sized unit on mobile webpages, and starting May 2, 2017 we will no longer disallow this ad unit from being placed above the fold on mobile web pages.  After careful review, we've determined that when 300x250 ads are implemented above the fold in a user-friendly way, the ads do not annoy, distract, or result in ad performance issues.

On 2017-4-25 at 2:10 AM, LDDG said:

This is something that has always bugged me and I thought I was the only one suffering this. I really appreciate you guys coming out and getting this addressed.

I have made the changes to custom.css using this as posted by @gavpedz:

/* GOOGLE AD CODE FOR RESPONSIVE ADS */
#ipsLayout_mainArea .adsbygoogle { width: 300px; height: 250px; }
@media (min-width:380px) { #ipsLayout_mainArea .adsbygoogle { width: 336px; height: 280px; } }
@media (min-width:764px) { #ipsLayout_mainArea .adsbygoogle { width: 728px; height: 90px; } }
@media (min-width:980px) { #ipsLayout_mainArea .adsbygoogle { width: 468px; height: 60px; } }
@media (min-width:1160px) { #ipsLayout_mainArea .adsbygoogle { width: 728px; height: 90px; } }

#ipsLayout_sidebar .adsbygoogle { width: 300px; height: 250px; }
@media (min-width:380px) { #ipsLayout_sidebar .adsbygoogle { width: 336px; height: 280px; } }
@media (min-width:980px) { #ipsLayout_sidebar .adsbygoogle { width: 300px; height: 600px; } }

but on mobile mode, the header banner still appears too small. The sidebar and footer ads show up as a nice big square ad, but the header ad stil shows up as a small leaderboard banner.

All 3 ads have been setup as responsive ads in Google.

Can anyone check it out using their iPhone or Android phone?

www.losdurosdelgenero.com

The very first ad shows up too small, but if you scroll down, the 2nd and 3rd ads show up as big squares.

This is how the ads are showing up:

header.thumb.JPG.e44cb3041e5c90c22da5c3977b4361c1.JPG

sidebar.thumb.JPG.ff21235e9d85ad122beb9b7f65b56e91.JPG

footer.thumb.JPG.c44a91213c5291dbd5ff1f14f72b291a.JPG

What's the code for a footer, or other options like the first topic in a forum or thread? On mobile I don't want to show anything other than a basic leaderboard to my members on mobile, but I wouldn't mind adding a responsive unit to topic listing or 'after the first post' in a thread to random guests (on mobile, they already get it on desktop).

This is still broken in the current code as I had to fix it with some of the changes to the css from the above post.

Has anyone figured out how to force the ad above the fold to show up as a 300x250 ad? I have it set to auto but it still shows up as a small leaderboard ad when displayed in mobile view above the fold. I thought that now since Google is allowing 300x250 ads to appear above the fold, it would have displayed automatically, but I guess not.

9 hours ago, LDDG said:

Has anyone figured out how to force the ad above the fold to show up as a 300x250 ad? I have it set to auto but it still shows up as a small leaderboard ad when displayed in mobile view above the fold. I thought that now since Google is allowing 300x250 ads to appear above the fold, it would have displayed automatically, but I guess not.

No i noticed the same although google has announced this and i have set it to be a 300x250 it still is not show as such. 

Archived