Does IPS not fully allow responsive Adsense in mobile?

gavpedz

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have tried on an iPhone 5 and still the same plus the responsive ad pushes out of the right boundary. Is IPS forcing responsive ads to stay leaderboard?  I was all up for moving over and doing my final conversion soon but this is a problem. The bigger box ads are higher earners. 

4 hours ago, gavpedz said:

I have tried on an iPhone 5 and still the same plus the responsive ad pushes out of the right boundary. Is IPS forcing responsive ads to stay leaderboard?  I was all up for moving over and doing my final conversion soon but this is a problem. The bigger box ads are higher earners. 

Smaller screens actually make the ads go out of the forum layout. It's like the adsense code doesn't recognize when to stop. This never used to happen on IPB3.

there is invision css for adsbygoogle which controls the size, it's in global.css under core, global, responsive

/* GOOGLE AD CODE FOR RESPONSIVE ADS */
#ipsLayout_mainArea .adsbygoogle { width: 320px; height: 100px; }
@media (min-width:500px) { #ipsLayout_mainArea .adsbygoogle { width: 468px; height: 60px; } }
@media (min-width:1050px) { #ipsLayout_mainArea .adsbygoogle { width: 728px; height: 90px; } }

@Daniel F

I am using responsive Adsense in the advertisement manager (default theme). Using the html code option. All Adsense ads only show in leaderboard format apart from the sidebar which IPS seems to allow the ad to actually be fully responsive and show taller ads

54 minutes ago, sound said:

there is invision css for adsbygoogle which controls the size, it's in global.css under core, global, responsive

#ipsLayout_mainArea .adsbygoogle { width: 320px; height: 100px; }
@media (min-width:500px) { #ipsLayout_mainArea .adsbygoogle { width: 468px; height: 60px; } }
@media (min-width:1050px) { #ipsLayout_mainArea .adsbygoogle { width: 728px; height: 90px; } }

So if I am using the actual responsive Adsense code could I in theory comment out this code and allow the ads to do their magic by themselves? 

Yes this is true. But with this code it basically says you will always show this size on x screen size. Because I am using the responsive Adsense code I want google to decide as and when it shows what size as is intended.

1 hour ago, gavpedz said:

So if I am using the actual responsive Adsense code could I in theory comment out this code and allow the ads to do their magic by themselves? 

Yes. That's what happens.

This is quite disappointing because when I brought this issue up in a Support Ticket, I was told to purchase the Pages app and add blocks with Adsense ads. Nobody told me about that the CSS above was the culprit of the ads overlapping and not displaying completely.

They should remove that part of the CSS completely because it does more harm than good when the user is actually using responsive ads.

27 minutes ago, daveoh said:

Wow, this has been driving me nuts for months, never stopped to think Adsense css would have been hidden elsewhere, tried everything to get the square ads back on mobile 

On 4/22/2017 at 4:42 PM, gavpedz said:

Yes and I am sure now most are using responsive Adsense. 

Did you notice any income difference after removing that CSS?

13 minutes ago, David.. said:

Did you notice any income difference after removing that CSS?

Only just changed it now, hoping to see a increase as I've had a 320x100 space on mobile with 320x50 ads.

336x280 and 300x250 ads are in the top paid units.

Also brought back the popular 728x90 on tablets where it's been running 468x60.

1 hour ago, daveoh said:

Only just changed it now, hoping to see a increase as I've had a 320x100 space on mobile with 320x50 ads.

336x280 and 300x250 ads are in the top paid units.

Also brought back the popular 728x90 on tablets where it's been running 468x60.

Seriously. Feels good seeing that giant ad on tablets for some reason.

If anyone is interested this is what i have done with mine. (Bear in mind i have the sidebar on pretty much every page possible.)

#ipsLayout_mainArea .adsbygoogle { width: 300px; height: 250px; }
@media (min-width:380px) { #ipsLayout_mainArea .adsbygoogle { width: 336px; height: 280px; } }
@media (min-width:764px) { #ipsLayout_mainArea .adsbygoogle { width: 728px; height: 90px; } }
@media (min-width:980px) { #ipsLayout_mainArea .adsbygoogle { width: 468px; height: 60px; } }
@media (min-width:1160px) { #ipsLayout_mainArea .adsbygoogle { width: 728px; height: 90px; } }

#ipsLayout_sidebar .adsbygoogle { width: 300px; height: 250px; }
@media (min-width:380px) { #ipsLayout_sidebar .adsbygoogle { width: 336px; height: 280px; } }
@media (min-width:980px) { #ipsLayout_sidebar .adsbygoogle { width: 300px; height: 600px; } }

Archived