Publishing IPS from localhost

Recently converted our old forum from an old snitz board with 160,000 posts and had to do it on localhost because of errors and timeouts.

Now I need to put it all online. Can I just copy all of the files from local host to server and publish 450MB database. Besides conf_global.php and updating license key is there anything else I need to know or do? Also can I change the key after as it's in the CP?

BTW: To convert from snitz was mssql convert to mysql then import to phpbb2 with scripts then parse data with scripts then convert to phpbb3 then convert ipb4 then parse posts data again with scripts. Ugly long process but nice result.

Thx.

Michael

That is essentially it really.

Upload the files to the live server. Import the database (do not forget to set a db user / db user password / db user permissions) and edit conf_global.php to the 'new' URL and the new database details.

The invalid or wrong key will just display an error message in the ACP header area (and on the front end for those with ACP access) but you can update that when you get a few moments, it won't interfere with general operations as such. Obviously the Spam Service and Chat will not function without it though.

Login to the ACP and go to the Files section. Adjust as required the storage locations for the various file types such as profiles as these are likely to still have the localhost path in them.

If the ACP broken (missing css or such) use your browsers 'find' function to find the support link then the 'something is not working correctly' link nearby and run that, that should rectify the display concern. I'd suggest if possible checking the paths above first however if you can. The files themselves as you've not "really" moved them as such should be OK, as if you change paths it will move them as a background task.

I'd suggest once you've moved it to the 'live' server and its functional / accessible if you are unable to rectify any issues then the best course of action is to submit a ticket in the Client Area. :)

Archived