"No Database Selected" error during installation

EricPoggel2

I'm trying to do a fresh installation of IPS Community Suite on my local machine.  Here's what I do:

1. I extract the ips_786f4 folder from the "March_23_2017 IPS Community Suite.zip" file.
  2. I copy the content of that folder to an Apache web accessible folder.  So that /admin, /api, etc. are at the document root.
  3. I load up localhost in my browser.  This shows a page with the "Start Installation" button - see the attached step1.png
  4. I click the button and I immediately see the page with the error shown in step2.png

It looks like the php code should be calling mysqli_select_db() or mysqli::select_db(), but I could not find any such code with a full text search of the source code.  How is IPS Community Suite supposed to know which database to use?

I did get some mysql errors when I tested using the ips4.php script, attached.

I have had MySQL installed on this machine for a long time and have used it with a lot of other php software.  It looks like it uses the php mysqli extension?  I have also attached a simple mysqli script that I used to confirm that mysql/mysqli works on my machine.  It successfully prints that 10 rows were found from my "animals" table.

step1.png

step2.png

ips4.png

mysqli.php

Thanks for your help, that fixed it!  The installer completed successfully.

It's strange because the installation instructions say not to do this:

It is important to note that when you upload to your web server, you are not uploading the folder itself. You are instead uploading the contents of that folder. To illustrate this, I have highlighted what I will be uploading in this guide below.

Oh well.  Thanks again.

Archived