Really IPB...THIS SEARCH SxCKS !!!!

Draffi

Sorry for my harsh words, but i feel ... yes .... angry !!

Tried to search RSS Feed and "RSS Feed" even "Feed", Feed also, in the 3.4.x Board here, BUT THE RESULTS ARE 0, Zero, nothing, nada, nichts,...

WHAT HAPPEND HERE - Please, can you improve your search engine or integrate the Google search here.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!

(This "search function" is a bad reputation for IPB 4.x)

I have to agree search needs a bit of work no question about it. It seems unless you type your search exactly for what you are looking for you will get a "0" for search results in some cases if not most cases. 

55 minutes ago, Draffi said:

Sorry for my harsh words, but i feel ... yes .... angry !!

Tried to search RSS Feed and "RSS Feed" even "Feed", Feed also, in the 3.4.x Board here, BUT THE RESULTS ARE 0, Zero, nothing, nada, nichts,...

WHAT HAPPEND HERE - Please, can you improve your search engine or integrate the Google search here.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!

(This "search function" is a bad reputation for IPB 4.x)

What happens here is you probably typing in the quick search box in navbar on some area that the result is zero, Try the search settings or maybe try to use it on forum? or go directly in search page.

Hello ! :)

I do agree and I think there is something wrong with the search system. I can't find what I'm looking for.

I can't tell what's wrong exactly. The feeling I have is that the way the results are displayed doesn't allow you to find what you are looking for. 

There was a topic about it :

56 minutes ago, TAMAN said:

What happens here is you probably typing in the quick search box in navbar on some area that the result is zero, Try the search settings or maybe try to use it on forum? or go directly in search page.

Are you kidding with me? FOR WHAT EXIST A SEARCH FIELD? We have the year 2017 and I NEED TO TRY THE SEARCH SETTINGS or i NEED TO GO (DIRECTLY) TO THE SEARCH PAGE???????

Holy S*H*I*T....

1 hour ago, CP said:

I have to agree search needs a bit of work no question about it. It seems unless you type your search exactly for what you are looking for you will get a "0" for search results in some cases if not most cases. 

what exactly i need to type, when i want to find results for "RSS feed" ?

49 minutes ago, Tracy Perry said:

It's been acknowledged numerous times by IPS staff that the mySQL search is .... shall we say lacking.

There are plans in 4.3 to have an improved search.

Funny Answer. There are a lot of customers WHO ARE CLIENTS (PAYING MONEY) - well, not me, a.t.m. - and you said "THERE ARE PLANS FOR TO IMPROVE THE SEARCH IN 4.3"????

Well, ok, but we can use Google, FB, Twitter and Pinterest - We can use them, what we are looking for, here. No Problem.

In the meantime, the IPB-Staff can check the free SMF-Source code, for "how to handle a search question".

Let us wait for 4.3, what comes - mhhpfh...calculate.....1 year? - we will see.

Thank you so much!

Lucille !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smack some heads, let us taste this funny things...

4 minutes ago, Draffi said:

Funny Answer. There are a lot of customers WHO ARE CLIENTS (PAYING MONEY) - well, not me, a.t.m. - and you said "THERE ARE PLANS FOR TO IMPROVE THE SEARCH IN 4.3"????

No funny to it... it's a very weak point of IPS and they really screwed the pooch when they removed Sphinx without a replacement.  If you review some of my post history you'll find I've been VERY vocal about that. ;)

a website without a working search is even not worth a penny

thats my opinion.

we have - wait.... IPB 4.1.x - and we need to wait for 4.3 ????

Good design, friendly people, nice support....yeah! BUT NO WORKING SEARCH ENGINE?

Round Profile Pictures, Background upload possible - WUSCHHHHH - THATS WHAT I`M LOOKING FOR!!!!!!!!!!! we dont need the search, if the package is very well adjusted.

oh...Mr. Opentype - who never answered my PM - comes directly from his thrones for to answer. ...

I CAN WRITE WHAT I WANT, EVEN WITH "CAPS" AND SYMBOLS LIKE "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

This is not your board !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(In this case, the font-type is not important)

What do you think, who you are? 3 Files in the DL-Area and you thinking, you are a coder-guru? you are a font-guru, thats right. BUT STOP TO TEACH PEOPLE, HOW  TO style WHAT they WROTE!!!

LUCILLE !!!!!!!!!!! ANOTHER JOB.......seems very bloody....BUT DO IT !!!!!!

BTW: this is my result, when i`m searching:

rss_1.thumb.png.358662d78b1242f0ddd7292fdaa7dd6d.png

15 minutes ago, Draffi said:

What do you think, who you are? 3 Files in the DL-Area and you thinking, you are a coder-guru?

Was expecting you would go down the rabbit hole even further and start with ad hominem attacks. My comment had nothing whatsoever do to with coding or the search function. It was an advise about giving proper feedback and how to discuss and behave properly in a public online forum. But if you think this type of behaviour gets you anywhere, go ahead. You can only hurt yourself with that. 
And speaking of hurting: those repeated mentions of a “bloody” job for Lucille are far from being funny and will be reported. 

7 hours ago, Draffi said:

oh...Mr. Opentype - who never answered my PM - comes directly from his thrones for to answer. ...

I CAN WRITE WHAT I WANT, EVEN WITH "CAPS" AND SYMBOLS LIKE "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

This is not your board !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you think, who you are? 3 Files in the DL-Area and you thinking, you are a coder-guru? you are a font-guru, thats right. BUT STOP TO TEACH PEOPLE, HOW  TO style WHAT they WROTE!!!

BTW: this is my result, when i`m searching:

rss_1.thumb.png.358662d78b1242f0ddd7292fdaa7dd6d.png

@Draffi Getting back to the topic, what exactly are you trying to search?

1.  If you're trying to search for settings for RSS, you need to search in the ACP.  You'll see the live results immediately for RSS/Atom feeds.

2.  You can't search for the phrase "RSS feed" on the front-end.  You need to search for the actual topic title or content of the RSS feeds (eg. "walking dead" "lucille".)

After using the search settings changing to all content (instead of current location only) you get a ton of results. The default is search titles and content, you can narrow the search to topics by choosing "Advanced Search" and changing to search in titles for a more focused search. Also giving access to option like time since posted or author. It seems to work pretty good for me. Try again using suggestions and I think you will be satisfied with the results listed. 

16 hours ago, Draffi said:

kotm-ross-gesture-full.thumb.jpg.c86cc253573f08fbd0d03d4516ffced0.jpg

On 2017-04-02 at 8:27 AM, Tracy Perry said:

There are plans in 4.3 to have an improved search.

yeah... while we still not having 4.2 :D

I haven't watched the marketplace yet, but there should be a google search mod somewhere. At least I have it on my 3.4 board.

15 hours ago, nodle said:

I actually think the search at IPB is great, never had a problem finding something that I was looking for. I think it's 10x better than Xenforo's search was.

the problem is the underlying "search engine".  mySQL search is not the "best" nor the most "robust" in the world.  ElasticSearch allows more ability than mySQL and it's assorted full text stop words that some people cannot modify due to being on a shared hosting environment.

IPS removing Sphinx from the mix and not having a replacement ready and being reliant upon mySQL was not the best choice, which is something I do believe they have come to realize.

1 hour ago, Maxxius said:

yeah... while we still not having 4.2 :D

Oh, as I said, I'm a very vocal critic of their removal of Sphinx without having a replacement ready to roll out.

ALL forum searches that rely on mySQL built in features suck when compared to Google, Bing, etc - but you do have to realize that those companies have a LARGE core infrastructure behind their search engines that a standard web site forum cannot provide - ergo the need for enhancements like Sphinx/ElasticSearch.

I don't comment much 

On 4/2/2017 at 2:18 AM, Tracy Perry said:

No funny to it... it's a very weak point of IPS and they really screwed the pooch when they removed Sphinx without a replacement.  If you review some of my post history you'll find I've been VERY vocal about that. ;)

I agree 100%, search is the weakest link in IPBs suite. It's tremendously frustrating not being able to find the right content. We have a pretty large community and by far that's our member's biggest complaint. I can never find the content I'm looking for. Search wasn't perfect but it was a lot better when we were able to use Sphinx. I'm sad to learn that we'll need to wait until 4.3 in order for us to see improvements with search. I think search should be a top priority given how often it's used and how integral it is to almost any forum. I'd be happy to pay for another IPB app that offered awesome search features.

On 4/3/2017 at 6:30 PM, BariatricPal said:

I don't comment much 

I agree 100%, search is the weakest link in IPBs suite. It's tremendously frustrating not being able to find the right content. We have a pretty large community and by far that's our member's biggest complaint. I can never find the content I'm looking for. Search wasn't perfect but it was a lot better when we were able to use Sphinx. I'm sad to learn that we'll need to wait until 4.3 in order for us to see improvements with search. I think search should be a top priority given how often it's used and how integral it is to almost any forum. I'd be happy to pay for another IPB app that offered awesome search features.

I'm with you 100%, poor search results have always been a pet peeve of mine.  I'm running Sphinx on my 3.x forum, and I've been holding off on upgrading to 4.x until this issue is resolved.  It's bad enough on this forum that I often have to go to resort to Google to try and find topics.  I don't want members to have to do the same on my forum. 

Archived