Memcache/d PHP 7.1 WHM

Hello 

I'm no expert on this and usually just follow any guides that google chucks out. 

I haven't found a guide that works as it seems that memcache/d doesnt fully work with php7.1 yet. 

I have tried to install it via the whm software pecl installer, but it gives me an error everytime. 

Has anyone managed to do this yet ?

3 minutes ago, Vanucci said:

The OS is CENTOS 6.8 x86_64 kvm

I dont know what you mean by kernal.

The memcached support is in prerelease phase for WHM / EA4 users. You can easily install and run it from their experimental repositories by running:

1. yum install ea4-experimental
  2. yum install ea-php71-php-memcache
  3. yum install ea-php71-php-memcached

It does support PHP 7.1

@Vanucci I highly recommend updating to CENTOS 7. The easiest method would be to just set your php version back to 5.6 and install memcached via the php module installer built into cpanel or WHM.

Centos 7

wget https://github.com/websupport-sk/pecl-memcache/archive/NON_BLOCKING_IO_php7.zip
 unzip NON_BLOCKING_IO_php7.zip
 cd pecl-memcache-NON_BLOCKING_IO_php7
 /opt/cpanel/ea-php70/root/usr/bin/phpize && ./configure --enable-memcache --with-php-config=/opt/cpanel/ea-php70/root/usr/bin/php-config && make
 cp modules/memcache.so /opt/cpanel/ea-php70/root/usr/lib64/php/modules/
 echo 'extension=memcache.so' >/opt/cpanel/ea-php70/root/etc/php.d/memcached.ini
 service httpd restart

^ Be sure to replace the path to reflect your server. If the current path is incorrect change it to /opt/php-7.0.7/

Just now, iDeath said:

@Vanucci I highly recommend updating to CENTOS 7. The easiest method would be to just set your php version back to 5.6 and install memcached via the php module installer built into cpanel or WHM.

Centos 7

wget https://github.com/websupport-sk/pecl-memcache/archive/NON_BLOCKING_IO_php7.zip
 unzip NON_BLOCKING_IO_php7.zip
 cd pecl-memcache-NON_BLOCKING_IO_php7
 /opt/cpanel/ea-php70/root/usr/bin/phpize && ./configure --enable-memcache --with-php-config=/opt/cpanel/ea-php70/root/usr/bin/php-config && make
 cp modules/memcache.so /opt/cpanel/ea-php70/root/usr/lib64/php/modules/
 echo 'extension=memcache.so' >/opt/cpanel/ea-php70/root/etc/php.d/memcached.ini
 service httpd restart

^ Be sure to replace the path to reflect your server. If the current path is incorrect change it to /opt/php-7.0.7/

I tried this, but it didnt work for me. Also does whm/cpanel work for centos7 ?

3 minutes ago, inkredible said:

The memcached support is in prerelease phase for WHM / EA4 users. You can easily install and run it from their experimental repositories by running:

1. yum install ea4-experimental
  2. yum install ea-php71-php-memcache
  3. yum install ea-php71-php-memcached

It does support PHP 7.1

Chances of me destroying my forum if i do this ? its not a big issue if i do as im still in the process of "setting up" today. 

@Vanucci It is in early development stage but the system is very well isolated and even if installed incorrectly wont pose any harm to your server. As far as memcached supporting 7.1 I haven't seen any shutters from them in awhile. If you don't want to go back to php 5.6 then I would follow @inkredible advice.

Cpanel and WHM is supported on Centos 7.

3 minutes ago, Vanucci said:

I tried this, but it didnt work for me. Also does whm/cpanel work for centos7 ?

Chances of me destroying my forum if i do this ? its not a big issue if i do as im still in the process of "setting up" today. 

Well I have installed my memcached extension manually but I have never had problems with installing their pre release package. I am very sure that you will receive top notch support in case you do, because the only reason they do pre relesaes is to guarantee stability and in order to avoid migrating issue. In short you will pretty much get a very competent supporter / the developer who is going to take a look into that issue. Their support is great :-).

I agree to iDeath that you should update to CentOS7 btw.

Edit: This thread may be of interest for you as well: 

@Vanucci If you need help don't be afraid to ask here. Dumb questions are better than a fried hard drive.

Pro tip: Depending on the size of your board GZIP compression will suffice as your front-line compression algorithm. I'd only use memcached if you have a pretty sizable community and or have a decent amount of images floating around your board.

Memcached works perfect with php 7.1 for a long time !!!!

Just set it up for a new client....

For cpanel doesn't work as default at least and you may want to do some custom edits or wait for them to enable it for you.....

That's why i recommend custom setups.....

Archived