Change directory

marklcfc

Tried to do this last night and failed, due to a 301 redirect that I've used for the past 13 years.

As mentioned I wanted to move my forum into root from /forums. But whenever I remove the 301 redirect that is present in a htaccess file in root, nothing changes. The site still redirects and there seems no way around it.

It did work when I was in a private window, and after clearing cache but I can't expect every member to know to do that so I had to revert back. Is there no way around this?

Yes I was using a 301 redirect from www.domain.com to www.domain.com/forums

How do I reverse it? And would that create a loop as currently www.domain.com goes to www.domain.com/forums even when I've removed the redirect code from htaccess root.

@marklcfc assuming everything is configured properly the board will no longer point to www.domain.com/forums so if a member with an old cache visits the website it will, by default, redirect them from www.domain.com to www.domain.com/forum where your 301 where then redirect them back to www.domain.com which will also force their browser to recache which will then no longer redirect them to www.domain.com/forum

If my theory is correct this should work flawlessly.

1 hour ago, iDeath said:

@marklcfc assuming everything is configured properly the board will no longer point to www.domain.com/forums so if a member with an old cache visits the website it will, by default, redirect them from www.domain.com to www.domain.com/forum where your 301 where then redirect them back to www.domain.com which will also force their browser to recache which will then no longer redirect them to www.domain.com/forum

If my theory is correct this should work flawlessly.

I've made the changes and I believe it's working :)

Archived