Reported post should contain snapshot of post

rllmukforum

When you report a post and subsequently review that report as a moderator, the post in the report is a live view of the post, not as it was at the time the report was filed. That is, any edits made after the report was filed are reflected in the view of the post in the report.

Our moderators frequently respond to reported posts which have had offending remarks edited out, and therefore cannot see the reported content.

Feature request: the forum should record a snapshot of a reported post at the tile the report is filed. If that needs to have an on/off toggle to prevent the db filling up with "extra" copies of posts, that's fine.

Alternatively, full post versioning might be handy, bit I appreciate that's a much heavier lift.

Full post versioning exists - under posting (I think), you can enable full edit history. However, I do agree that the reported post should have the version as reported displayed in the report center, or at least easily accessible and clearly marked as having been changed, so people can't edit the comments away and avoid action.

48 minutes ago, rllmukforum said:

Interesting, thanks. Is that new? I've not noticed that feature before. Is it a delta or a complete copy of the post each time it is edited?

But yes, agree with you there.

It's been around for a while, certainly since 4.1 and maybe 4.0. It is a complete copy of the post.

18 hours ago, Colonel_mortis said:

It's been around for a while, certainly since 4.1 and maybe 4.0. It is a complete copy of the post.

This may not be the place for this question, but having enabled this edit history (the 3rd option, which includes content versioning), where do moderators access earlier versions of posts? The edit history under moderation options for a thread shows the edit timeline, but I don't see where the actual earlier content is accessed.

47 minutes ago, rllmukforum said:

This may not be the place for this question, but having enabled this edit history (the 3rd option, which includes content versioning), where do moderators access earlier versions of posts? The edit history under moderation options for a thread shows the edit timeline, but I don't see where the actual earlier content is accessed.

On the edited post, there is a "show edit history" button, but it will only be populated with edits that were made after enabling the setting.

15 minutes ago, Colonel_mortis said:

On the edited post, there is a "show edit history" button, but it will only be populated with edits that were made after enabling the setting.

Excellent, thanks. I needed to enable the "can view edit log" permission for the Moderators group.

@Colonel_mortis @rllmukforum

Im probably doing something stupid, but I tried enabling the edit logs (I think thats the right setting) and then edited a log as a regular member but then as an admin I dont see anywhere to "revert". Am I missing something? I did not see any settings under the admin/moderators group regarding edits. 

nm found it. 

• 5 months later...

Would also say this is a must. Having moved over from vbulletin, this has caused lots of problems. Especially when a moderator is questioning another moderator why they've issued a warning for a seemingly innocuous post - The moderator had edited the post to remove the offending comments, however this of course edits the text of the reported post and makes it seems like the post has been reported for no reason. Just seems like common sense, and a retrograde step after coming from vbulletin.

Archived