Edit custom blocks on-the-fly without AdminCP?

LiquidFractal

As someone who has several custom blocks across several custom pages with prose, URL lists etc., it would be great if as an Admin I could edit the content of these blocks on the fly without having to log in to the AdminCP and navigate the menu system every time I wanted to add a link, change a phrase, etc.

What if there were a browser button or arrow, like the Manage Blocks arrow on the site screen, which brought up an Edit mode which allowed you to directly edit the content of certain kinds of blocks (i.e. custom)?

21 hours ago, liquidfractal said:

As someone who has several custom blocks across several custom pages with prose, URL lists etc., it would be great if as an Admin I could edit the content of these blocks on the fly without having to log in to the AdminCP and navigate the menu system every time I wanted to add a link, change a phrase, etc.

What if there were a browser button or arrow, like the Manage Blocks arrow on the site screen, which brought up an Edit mode which allowed you to directly edit the content of certain kinds of blocks (i.e. custom)?

If you have written these custom blocks yourself, then you can do this. You are required to add the form fields and the code to do it.

You could download some plugins that do this and have a look at their coding examples or ask for help in one of the development forums for examples from other developers.

6 hours ago, TDBF said:

If you have written these custom blocks yourself, then you can do this. You are required to add the form fields and the code to do it.

You could download some plugins that do this and have a look at their coding examples or ask for help in one of the development forums for examples from other developers.

Thanks for your reply, but I was thinking of a more native capability to do this.  I'm always wary of adding plugins, because your site then relies on yet another developer party who may at some point simply stop supporting or developing their plugin.  If you build your site around this functionality, you then risk being left high and dry.  I know this may not be one of those critical instances, and I know it's no reason to never use plugins at all of course, but personally I'm wary of it.  But I'll check the plugins at any rate.

Archived