IP Content Database Field Types

Phillyman

IP Content and specifically the custom databases.....is probably the most powerful aspect of the entire suite. For admins like me to be able to stand up custom databases that suit our website needs, is beyond awesome. However I think with a few more database field types, it could be a game changer for most sites. When I stand up a custom database, I do so to leverage the power of my community, I want to encourage my members to add their knowledge into our databases. As each member adds content into the custom databases, my site becomes more useful to other members. So I am proposing these three additional field types....

A More Robust Star Rating Field  - The current rating system is more than adequate for rating a blog entry, forum topic, gallery image or file. These types of entries can work with a simple 1-5 or 1-10 rating scheme. However when you are dealing with records in the database....you kinda want something more. Lets say I run a video game database, I may want a ratings field for "Graphics" and another one for "Sound" or "Game Play". Maybe I run a Cancun, Mexico vacation website and I want to have a database of resorts in the area, now I want ratings fields for "Location" and "Amenities". Or maybe I run a website that has a database of restaurants in the Washington DC area and I want to have star ratings for "Price", "Customer Service" , "Presentation".

The end goal is to give a more complete picture on the database record, not just a simple 1-5 star rating. And maybe you don't want stars, perhaps you want to display bronze, silver or gold medals depending on the ratings.

A Collection Field - One of the best ways to encourage members to add information into a database is to make it benefit them! A simple "Add to Collection" field type gives members bragging rights and lets them show off. Maybe you run a movie database and want to allow your users to add those items into personal collections. When a user goes and adds "Lord of the Rings; The Fellowship of the Ring" to their movie collection, and it is missing the Bluray cover art.....when they go back to their profile page and see that "image missing" placeholder on their collection tab....they are more likely to go and fill that out. Bonus points if you make it a "Have, Want, Selling" type button and this would allow members to quickly find other people to trade with on the community.

A Simple Vote Up/Down Field - Sometimes you just want to give users the ability to upvote or downvote a record in a database category. Just a straightforward +1/-1 field that could be named whatever you want.

Also there should be database field types that allow you to integrate gallery images, blog entries and download manager files into records as well.

Archived