Mod / Plugin Management

Bluto

There's a lot of software packages out there which have add-on mods and plugins.  I've yet to come across one that has a great management interface for managing which software I hate, love, purchased, etc.

Some software plugin directories have thousands of items.  It's hard to keep track of all of them on the software company's site.

Here on IPS, I do have the ability to use the manage purchases - which is an ok list.  But it's a daunting task to manage everything I've installed, purchased, or just plain don't want to see ever again like the developer who released 27 color change themes and the theme I want is on page 27.  I've resorted to creating an excel spreadsheet for all the mods I want and have installed - free and paid.  I've got to update that darn list every time someone releases a new version or a new plugin comes into the marketplace.  I feel like an accountant.

It would be great to see some additions to a marketplace item so I can set certain filters.

I was thinking:

1.  Purchased

2.  Don't Want

3.  Favorite

4.  Not Working

Allow me to set these for each of the mods in the marketplace.  Then I can see a list of items based on my preferences.  This way I'd be able to manage what is in the marketplace.  If I like something I can add it to the Favorite list, if I hate something I can add it to the Don't Want list, and so on.  Give me the ability to see all the information is a table format if I choose (Name, Link, Version, Last Updated).  Maybe even add a personal comment - especially if I have multiple licenses and need to make a note which license belongs to which site.

When the marketplace has 20K items it's going to be hard to sort through everything (ie Wordpress).  It'll also give IPS and the developer the ability to see stats on what filters users put on the items.

Allow me to set filters for each item, so I can see a list of what I really want to see.

Thanks!

Exactly, I also generated my own lists that are continuously edited and that's really big work load!

Therefore I use a lot fields to describe the apps/plugins with different attributes.

F.e. latest update date, version number, if it's relevant for commerce (my own grading!) or for legal aspects (my own grading!), to which IPS app it belongs to (forums/blogs/downloads/commerce...), my own "short-description" (useful for future considerations), some private notes (f.e. to record may own CSS changes, error handling, my personal extracts from support threads - some of them are 30-40 pages and I can't find important information easily), direct links to the download AND to the support thread...

Any list format to filter every field would be great!

I'm also missing a list app in the IPS suite at all, that just displays different lists with different field types. It might be possible with pages (?) but I don't know if IP.Pages has a filterable list frontend template. I'm talking about a table list like in excel, where you can filter in the header line directly (Excels "Auto Filter" feature).

Not sure about the list app in IPS suite.

I wonder if a google docs doc is in order where everyone can share information gathered?  I think a majority of IPB users would find a manageable marketplace useful, especially when the marketplace has thousands of mods to sort through.

The Marketplace has an RSS feed for latest files... Why not have something that pulls files, and you categorize them as they come in?  I know that doesn't help you keep track of versions, but it gets you a consolidated list you can import into your own forum that you can then manage with tags, etc.  Uninstall something? remove the installed tag, etc...

Just throwing a random idea out there... I'm sure you'll find holes that need filled to meet your needs, but an idea none-the-less that automates some of what you're doing.

52 minutes ago, Aiwa said:

The Marketplace has an RSS feed for latest files... Why not have something that pulls files, and you categorize them as they come in?  I know that doesn't help you keep track of versions, but it gets you a consolidated list you can import into your own forum that you can then manage with tags, etc.  Uninstall something? remove the installed tag, etc...

Just throwing a random idea out there... I'm sure you'll find holes that need filled to meet your needs, but an idea none-the-less that automates some of what you're doing.

Thanks for the idea!  I'll check that out.  Hopefully, IPS will make the modifications / additions needed to make it easier on users who purchase addons for there software.

Archived