Downloads is the whole reason I chose IPB

SJ77

I love that IPB includes downloads as an application and it links nicely with commerce. It's what makes IPB stand out verses others in my opinion.

I need downloads to monitize my site. 

I have to say though, downloads feels like it was an afterthought. Like it was designed from the ground up to do what it does here on THIS site and nothing else. Then someone thought, lets sell this as an app. Then it was thrown in as an optional package for the customers. It doesn't seem to have the polish that some of the other apps do. Not trying to be rude or ungrateful, I do appreciate what it is. 

I just feel like it's not very robust, customizable, missing good stats, missing good user and admin feedback etc. but has soooo much potential.

i am wondering is there any interest in getting serious about downloads and making it a serious tool for running a business and monitizing a site? Is this even on the radar?

downloads by far is my favorite thing about ips and I would love to see downloads get some attention. 

57 minutes ago, superj707 said:

I just feel like it's not very robust, customizable, missing good stats, missing good user and admin feedback etc.

Can you elaborate on what you want?  

I'm a soon-to-be power user of IP.Downloads (I have roughly 72,000 files that need to eventually be uploaded), and my only two requests for IP.Downloads are:

• Batch upload from FTP
  • Show subcategory files if category is empty / placeholder

19 hours ago, Joel R said:

Can you elaborate on what you want? 

GLAD you asked.

1.  Personal Store Link > https://invisionpower.com/files/114025-adriano-faria
    • ^^^THIS, more than anything!!! PLEASEEEEEEEEEE Imagine if that link worked as you think it should, It would be the marketplace with all the normal, whats new, highest rated etc.. only the query to load the files would have a WHERE USERID=114025. IE: Only Adrianos stuff. 
    • Why have that you ask? Well, Adriano can then advertise his "store" on other sites such as facebook, tumblr, and other forums. It empowers users to advertise for YOUR site!.
    • Might not be so good for downloads specific to IPS but what if someone was using marketplace for stock photos. users don't want to advertise for everyone's stuff. They need a URL they can hand out that leads back to just THEIR OWN stuff. Some personal ownership empowers sellers. (don't even bother telling me about the profile page)
    • An easy button for sellers that copies a link and lets them socialize their "store".... Goodness that would be like magic, so much potential to gain traffic by turning sellers into an army of advertisers!!!!!
  2. Clean up app  to work for other types of files beyond hooks and mods.
    • I sell photos. Why do I need to see "Ver 1.0.0" on every photo in the marketplace?
    • Want to hide version options all together for both sides of isle.
  3. Way for marketplace "sellers" to bulk mail customers. (without knowing who the customers are)
    • My sellers would like to thank their customers. If I let them see who the buyers are they will make side deals outside of my site.  Can't allow this but would like a way for sellers to market to buyers and thank buyers without knowing who they are.
  4. Improved metrics and data feedback
    • For sellers it would be nice if they had some stats. Like sales,  and number of transactions (count) this is at a minimum. Right now they have nothing!
    • For Admin, would be nice to have many more ways to see what is going on. Sales, Transaction (count) and Profit would be nice to chart over time. For now there is "income" which is near meaningless. How am I supposed to run a real business with that? Seriously? I am not being sarcastic. How?
  5. Stats per user for admin , aka By user stats for ADMIN - per tax requirements etc.
    • When it's time to do taxes it's going to be hell trying to figure out who needs a 1099
    • need by user amounts paid for a specific time period at a minimum.
  6. Some way to be notified when  a new file, file comment or file review needs approved!!!
    • It's been harder than hell for me to try and figure out what is waiting on approval. I am constantly checking the marketplace, the files, the reviews. This is unmanageable.
  7. Some sort of process allowing users to become sellers.
    • Sometimes we don't want ALL users to be sellers. Shouldn't there be some kind of process that can glue this together. Like an application that can, if approved, change groups for the user so members can then be sellers?

I am just getting started.. there is soooooooo much potential I couldn't possibly list it all. We could get into geographic tools and all kinds of stuff that I have seen in other places on the web. The app does what it's supposed to do, here on IPB main site but just doesn't feel robust enough to run a serious business and monetize ones site in other cases (I know, that's just my opinion man).  I would love to see it get some attention and grow into something powerful.

Thank you :)

On 2/12/2017 at 9:16 AM, superj707 said:

I love that IPB includes downloads as an application and it links nicely with commerce. It's what makes IPB stand out verses others in my opinion.

I need downloads to monitize my site. 

I have to say though, downloads feels like it was an afterthought. Like it was designed from the ground up to do what it does here on THIS site and nothing else. Then someone thought, lets sell this as an app. Then it was thrown in as an optional package for the customers. It doesn't seem to have the polish that some of the other apps do. Not trying to be rude or ungrateful, I do appreciate what it is. 

I just feel like it's not very robust, customizable, missing good stats, missing good user and admin feedback etc. but has soooo much potential.

i am wondering is there any interest in getting serious about downloads and making it a serious tool for running a business and monitizing a site? Is this even on the radar?

downloads by far is my favorite thing about ips and I would love to see downloads get some attention. 

I agreem and this is by no means meant to hijack the thread, but I also feel precisely the same way about Calendar.  It's there because, well, you kinda have to have it because all the other apps do, but it's so drastically underdeveloped right now.

1 hour ago, liquidfractal said:

Like it was designed from the ground up to do what it does here on THIS site and nothing else. Then someone thought, lets sell this as an app. Then it was thrown in as an optional package for the customers. It doesn't seem to have the polish that some of the other apps do. Not trying to be rude or ungrateful, I do appreciate what it is. 

I feel the same way about Commerce and I have noticed the same sentiment by other people too.

Mobile formats, another idea.

I would also like a way for video files uploaded to downloads to convert formats in the back end automatically to make a version that works for folks on mobile. maybe it's streaming for mobile folks, or some how transformed such that people on ios actually see something when they download the file.   This might be better suited as a mod though. Any ideas?

Good point here.

One thing that bother me for us who sell other things than software. For me digital downloads. Like the gallery resize the screenshots automatic and a setting in acp to set the size in pixel width and height in all categories. For an example category 1; 800x600 pixels, category 2; 400x400 pixels.

That saves me a lots of manual resize of my 17 500 files.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/12/2017 at 7:16 PM, Lindy said:

Awesome feedback, thanks for sharing - I agree many of those would be great additions to Downloads. Let's see what we can do. 

Any of this find it's way into 4.2?

It would be nice to have some of those features that @superj707 suggest. Myself I would like to put a twist on the information.  As an Admin I would love to have storage space numbers for server space left, then per user of the members allotted storage space for files, PM's, etc. I should be able to pull up a members account and see everything he/she has done, storing on the server, the amount of allocated space that person as well system wide. I'm also using Downloads as well but information is limited that IPB reports. 

info.thumb.jpg.7a64dbacb1422c7dac465fda288c3954.jpg

Personally, this isn't right. It should display messenger storage (xxx / yyy) not a percent number. Like it should also display same kind of bar with attachment storage (xxx / yyy), downloads (xxx / yyy). Etc. This way the staff have a better idea of how much is consumed by the member. Now on the system there should be information on total attachments, total PM's total downloads, etc. So then when staff hit the Admin CP page at a glance you can tell how much server resources are consumed in a quick glance. 

I really hate to have to log into the AdminCP, then log in as the user to surf over the site in all the different areas (Download, Attachments, PM's, etc) to see what a member is consuming. It should all be displayed in the member account information page in the AdminCP. Then I have to fire up FTP software and surf all the different storage folders and see how much space is consumed with files in all the different areas.

23 hours ago, superj707 said:

@Mopar1973Man, although I say GM beats Mopar.. I do think you have some good ideas here.  :)

LOL... Not in the diesel world. Simple question why is the conversion kits to convert Ford's and GM's to Cummins (Dodge engine)?

I'm an informational geek. I hate running blind. I hate having to jump all over the place to figure out why a site isn't working right. Like this last site I converted it was hosted on a 300 MB MYSQL server and exceeded the limit (306 MB) and crashed. It took me some time to find that out of course. Storage amounts should be all listed on the AdminCP panel in plain site. Now if the storage amounts and limits are displayed then it's a no-brainer. 

As you'll see in my truck I've got more gauge that the average Joe... I love to IPS4 like my truck... 

Tablet has got 9 gauges running...

Cell phone has 5 gauges running...

3 Gauge on the A-pillar...

1 Gauge on the steering column.

DSCF3910.thumb.JPG.e581aad562d7d068ed871dc0a7343b3b.JPG

Thats a great looking dash! I am a fan of a lot of gauges too. I built up a Trans-Am once. (the good ol F body 3 gen). I had a ton of gauges in there too. Sold it after it blew a piston ring and started smoking like a chimney. Ring must have been installed poorly in engine rebuild.

Now if we can just get the ACP to have some more gauges. I would like to see a lot more information about commerce and downloads all in once place.

It's hard to answer simple questions like "How much did I pay  Xmember this year?"  or "Which xmember developer has earned the most income (payout) of all time"

Etc etc.

21 hours ago, superj707 said:

I would like to see a lot more information about commerce and downloads all in once place.

How about for all of IPS4 modules... It's only fair that support creates gauges for all the modules. Good idea would be to take the file storage page and rework it with server total storage then show how many files and how much is consumed in each folder. Since this is more of a system-wide amount of number. storage.thumb.jpg.0613833f491325eaae5bc026c76d990a.jpg

Now back to the Members and each members consumption of storage should be all list with each member. PM's, attachments, download files, pictures (gallery), etc. Anything that takes storage on a personal level should be shown on the member's page. Kind of like myself I got a huge amount of attachment on my own site. Now for management again I've got to go to control panel to see my own. But how about another members usage? So now you got to login as that member look at his/her PM box, downloads, and attachment storage. Again not all in one place but scattered all over the site. This should be all be listed in the AdminCP. Still, in all, I think there should be a widget for the AdminCP showing MySQL storage amount and server storage amounts at least.

Just thinking about it instead of the bar gauge up top of the member page in the AdminCP how about a entire tab devoted to storage. So then the staff could administrate all file attachments of any member or anything the member had stored on the site.

Suggestion... To the above post. 

Personally, I think its best when you have used amount slash the total amount. Example using your data above...

Memory: 4.67 GB / 45.9 GB

Like you show the Database size... Most sites I manage for people have a limit for database storage. So again it best to show both the used amount and the total amount.

Again to get this information I've got to login into cPanel and get it from my hosting page. Some hosting pages don't supply much if any information. This why I would like to see this on the AdminCP page. Like the last site, I dealt with had only 300 MB storage space for database and it went over because no one could see the database storage amounts at all. When it went over quota then the site crashed and fell apart. 

cpanel.thumb.jpg.baf4f2ed917a5de96c40f27235b5e223.jpg

Archived