Need an "unsubscribe from all" button on manage followed...

h2ojunkie

The largest complaint I get from members (and a constant source of my servers getting on RBL lists) is that IPS has no way to stop all emails for followed content.  

A user can adjust these settings : https://invisionpower.com/notifications/options/  This page is GREAT...it's crystal clear, and users can quickly understand what they need to do to set their preferences how they would like them. However, these settings only apply to new items they follow going forward from the time they change that setting.

Where the problem comes in, is users don't always understand how to change their preferences that are already set on OLD items they've followed.  For example...If you are following 30 topics, and 3 forums with a variety of settings for each item you've followed. The emails you receive had a variety of different links (depending on the type of email it is, instant topic, daily digest, etc).  One of the common unsubscribe links that cause the most confusion are ones like "Adjust your digest preferences" which lands you here:
https://invisionpower.com/followed/?filter=digest

Once a user lands on that page...they then have to do several things to stop all emails for everything they follow:

1.  they must realize it's a per-item setting they need to adjust
  2. if they follow enough items to cause it to pagenate, they have to then realize they must use the multi-select on page one..apply a setting, then go to page 2,3,4, etc and repeat
  3. If they've made it this far without getting pissed off and just hitting the "spam" button on their email client, they must not also realize that not only were there pages to go through, but they must also go through every single content type sub-tab (downloads, categories, bugs, articles, forums, topics, galleries, etc etc etc). 

Depending on how many things a user has followed over the years, they could literally have dozens of clicks to go through and update the settings of everything they have ever followed and change all of them to "do not send me any notifications".  The "managed followed content' page needs a short message at the top of the page that explains to users how the page works - and a big button to "unsubscribe from all"  which just sets every single thing they follow, in every content item type to "no notification" all at once, without the user having to select each item/page/type one by one.   Clicking the "unsubscribe all" button wouldn't remove the content from their followed list, it would just set every single thing they follow to the "no notification" option.  

2017-02-10_1731

• 4 months later...
On 2/10/2017 at 6:37 PM, h2ojunkie said:

Clicking the "unsubscribe all" button wouldn't remove the content from their followed list, it would just set every single thing they follow to the "no notification" option.  

I would even go one step further and give the option to decide to follow current notification settings page rules. It's possible the user still wants notification list notifications for that previously followed content - they just want to cut down on the amount of e-mail they get. In that case, @Adriano F's solution (while much appreciated) is a bit of a blunt instrument because it's a mass unsubscribe rather than a mass "turn off e-mail notifications but leave notification list notifications"

On 6/18/2017 at 1:02 AM, Morgin said:

I would even go one step further and give the option to decide to follow current notification settings page rules. It's possible the user still wants notification list notifications for that previously followed content - they just want to cut down on the amount of e-mail they get. In that case, @Adriano F's solution (while much appreciated) is a bit of a blunt instrument because it's a mass unsubscribe rather than a mass "turn off e-mail notifications but leave notification list notifications"

got the wrong Adriano  - sorry @Adriano Faria

Off chance, do you know if there is a way to disable e-mail for previously followed content while leaving the notification list notifications?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Disable email notifications for previously followed content while leaving notification list notifications. Your bulk followers management plugin sort of does this but doesn’t have the option to leave notification list notifications while removing email notifications. It’s all or nothing. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/10/2017 at 4:40 PM, Morgin said:

Disable email notifications for previously followed content while leaving notification list notifications. Your bulk followers management plugin sort of does this but doesn’t have the option to leave notification list notifications while removing email notifications. It’s all or nothing. 

My plugin does what it is supposed to do: it adds/removes followers from items. If you removed someone and this person keeps getting notifications, then I suggest you to submit a ticket. 

1 minute ago, Adriano Faria said:

My plugin does what it is supposed to do: it adds/removes followers from items. If you removed someone and this person keeps getting notifications, then I suggest you to submit a ticket. 

Oh hey sorry, I should have clarified this was more in response to the original comment in this thread as opposed to your plugin. 

I've actually got the wrong thread entirely though. Just ignore me :D

3 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Actually, since you are online I'll follow up.

I totally forgot you made this plugin and I had only read the first post in this thread and incorrectly assumed it was a different thread about unsubscribe.

Now that we've established I'm way too tired to be online, and now that I've brought myself back up to speed and am reminded you solved this problem with a plugin, can I ask my earlier question from this thread again? Would it be very difficult to have your plugin work such that it disables all e-mail notifications but keeps notification list notifications (vs doing a complete unfollow). I see some utility in people keeping their notifications in place while just turning off e-mail for all previously followed content. This use case is someone who doesn't mind the notifications when they are on the site, but wants to stop e-mail traffic from the community entirely for all old content.

Archived