How do I add a new language item?

rgf100

I want to add some notes on how search works to the search page. Rather than hardcode it into the template, I thought I'd create a new word key. However I cannot figure out how to do that. I can see how to edit or translate existing items, but not create a new one -  not on the default language, nor on a new one I created. 

So how do I create a word key, say search_notes, that I can then include in a template as 

{lang="search_notes"}

Or do I need to create a plugin or go into Developer Mode or something?

• 2 weeks later...

Contrary to generating new language strings, I have the problem that I require to delete some.

Unfortunately there are some duplicates in my language DB I need to get rid off. If you have duplicates, the edits in the language DB don't save anymore. I have no idea how this could happen, but I need to delete. Daniel F already helped with some SQL commands but there should be an easier option directly in the ACP, to delete (duplicate) language strings.

FWIW, I downloaded the developer tools and was able to knock up a plug in to insert language at certain points (I have some instructions for search, for example). I can't help thinking that it's a hell of a roundabout way of doing it,  but it's doable.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TexFanatico said:

(Ups, sorry, I've see only now that this thread was pretty old ?)

The thread's fairly old but the problem is still current. I'm 99% sure that @Mark once said to me that it was an oversight (something needed that they hadn't thought of) and one that IPS could look at rectifying, so maybe they will in a future version. (Please!) 

Archived