Copyright

Fandel

Hello, how can I add additional links to the Invision Copyright?
Since i am forced to make advertising for Invision.... then I would be so fair and add XenForo and vBulletin also with it. For me it makes no difference whether more forums are called in the footer. Maybe for google if they're checking backlinks....

Can you help me?

This is too much. I dont want to remove the copyright but add the other Forums. vBulltin is much cheaper with Copyright removal. When more people do this then invisionpower have no advantages with this copyright and it can turns into a disadvantage. Maybe then it will be cheaper? :)

Try makes wise

I would have the copyright of course gladly away but not at the price and if there already advertised for others is made then it makes no difference whether 1 or 3 forums are linked.

I am not ready to let only Invisionpower participate in advertising.

It's not advertising, its their copyright and although it does link back to their products I'm not really sure where the big problem is.

Unless you spend a lot more $500 to make your forum/site look different, anyone who uses communities will know what your using. Also, I don't suggest that you edit or alter the IPS copyright in any way, however if your that bothered - create a new line beneath it and links to wherever you want. Simple...

Thanks, I have to look at this, I'm not a PHP professional.
It does not bother me really but if a link is there then you can also be so fair and link to the other forums.
One or the other disrupts me e.g. Domain change .... why should pay $ 15 if i change the forum within 6 months to other domains? I have take a look to the init.php and license.php. For something thats fully automatic take money again. Nice!

Sorry for my bad english, it´s 20 years ago then i learned ....

The IPS copyright was never intended to be used as an advertising ploy though when you click on the link it will bring you here more as proof of origin rather than an advertisement.
You can always construct a sub footer like the one here if you are looking at a need to advertise others wares.

Just like IPS all other software like Invision have their own copyright notifications used in the same way for the same purposes. Just as developers and theme designers do for IPS or otherwise, they are intended as proof of development origin and ownership.

It may be that I am wrong with advertising but when I attach a visible reference to my own company on other sites is advertising for me. The copyright could also be kept within the files.

I like IPS. I have IPS and vB. Both are nice but not all!

6 minutes ago, Fandel said:

It may be that I am wrong with advertising but when I attach a visible reference to my own company on other sites is advertising for me. The copyright could also be kept within the files.

I like IPS. I have IPS and vB. Both are nice but not all!

Yes it is true that when you add your link to another site or domain with the intent to draw traffic to your site is advertisement. A copyright may seem to be advertising to some but in reality, it is in a way a call back to its origin of ownership.

• Management

Regarding the copyright - you may not modify it. You can, of course, link to other sites on your own site if you wish. Branding exists in every industry. If you buy a Cadillac, it says Cadillac all over it. You can put Ford on it in protest, but ... well, you're just going to look weird. 

If you want to look at IPS branding as advertisement, then consider we factor a discount into your license fee to account for it. If you don't wish to have that branding or "advertisement" you re-pay the discount you received, which we've deemed to be valued at $500. That's quite a discount for a tiny "Community Software by Invision Power Services" at the bottom of the site. You're welcome! 

Regarding domain changes - you may change it once yourself free of charge every six months. If you need to do it more often, simply contact us. Absent evident abuse, we'll generally change it, free of charge. I'm not going to buy a Cadillac (I guess I'm on a Cadillac kick today) from you resetting your domain a few times anyway... though if you wanted to stock up on branding removals, that would help - thanks in advance!

In all seriousness though - lighten up. Enjoy the software. If you love it, wear that beautiful IPS copyright line with pride. If you don't, let us know what would change your mind. 

Another way to look at the copyright is proof of purchase and or legitimacy.
When you hover over or click on a copyright it takes you to the creator(s) site of that software where as a nulled pirated version they are dead and the links removed.
With this said you have the comfort of knowing the site(s) you frequent are as legitimate as your own.

Hello Lindy
Nice that you pull the popular comparison with the car. I did not know which brands you drive from, so I've communicated it in a different way.
Let's say you buy a Cadilac then you have the freedom to choose the Invisionpower logo and remove the Cadilac logo without having to pay extra for it.

Everyone who has a business knows why to advertise.
What other reason should it have? :)

The copyright can be left in the files and anyone interested can see the source code and would see the reference to the software.
I find it not so nice to have your link on my startpage and i have a small business that i run alongside.

The thing with the domains you have now made me tasty. It is simply about that if i have problems with the Webserver have short-term to the managed solution.
I do not want to run two sides or the like.

Another problem with the migration is that I need to run 2 suites paralell at short notice to take over pages or topics. I do not want to move the entire database but rebuild some pages....& topics. I like the C&P thing.
Even this is not possible. I think it is okay that you are the legal use of the software in the sense of all but I feel it cumbersome to work.
I hope it is all right that I formulate my criticism.

Who speaks can be helped and who does not speak is also not helped.

7 minutes ago, CP said:

I never had a problem with all the years I have been using IPB (even when it was free) having a link at the bottom of my site. It does not bother me one bit. Give credit where credit is due. 

Yes, sure! On a business startpage..... :(

The software is good, i´m happy with the suite. Surely you can say this is like a ferrari brand. Invisionpower is not a bad brand, on the contrary.

Still, I do not like it and I do not like it and I've also communicated it. What the team makes of it is their business. No offense. ;-)

@Fandel, who is going to look at source files to find a copyright?  Using @Lindy's example, they value the exposure of their current copyright at $500.  If you want to hide it in the source code that copyright removal cost would either go up, or the opening cost of the software would go up.  

The age old debate of copyright removal and the added cost is an old one... Feel free to search around these forums and you'll find dozens of them.  It typically devolves into a discussion of the value of the copyright, why does IPS need it there, yet that same site is trying to advertise themselves all over the place like any other business with an online presence.  The epitome of hypocritical debates.  

You're getting all bent out of shape over a single line of text that's typically in the footer... How often do users actually scroll down that far on your site and read what's in the footer? 

4 minutes ago, Fandel said:

Yes, sure! On a business startpage..... :(

The software is good, i´m happy with the suite. Surely you can say this is like a ferrari brand. Invisionpower is not a bad brand, on the contrary.

Still, I do not like it and I do not like it and I've also communicated it. What the team makes of it is their business. No offense. ;-)

No offense taken. :) I really cannot comment more then what I have said. That is something you would have to take up with IPS. 

2 minutes ago, Aiwa said:

The age old debate of copyright removal and the added cost is an old one... Feel free to search around these forums and you'll find dozens of them.  It typically devolves into a discussion of the value of the copyright, why does IPS need it there, yet that same site is trying to advertise themselves all over the place like any other business with an online presence.  The epitome of hypocritical debates.

Yes, the old debate. But I think it is ok if one expresses his opinion about it, even if I am the 7xxxxx man who says it. Every customer has the right to say that a state is a failure or improvements to propose. I can not determine it, but I can express my wishes

2 minutes ago, Fandel said:

Yes, the old debate. But I think it is ok if one expresses his opinion about it, even if I am the 7xxxxx man who says it. Every customer has the right to say that a state is a failure or improvements to propose. I can not determine it, but I can express my wishes

So long as you are willing to accept the answer that nothing will change, and you agreed to the Software License Agreement that details the requirement of said copyright.

3 hours ago, Lindy said:

Absent evident abuse, we'll generally change it, free of charge

And I can testify to this.  Simply ask nicely, explain the situation and they are generally VERY open to working with you.

As for the copyright in the bottom... if it was gaudy then I'd also complain, but it is really no different than any other paid script.  It IS more expensive to get the removal than some of the others (XF is $250USD and WBB is $249.99) and it would be nice if it was more in line with them, but it is what it is. ;)

Wait until you get a lot of add-ons that keep adding their copyright in addition... it gets rather trashy looking.  There was (and is) a long discussion over on the XenForo site about it and possible solutions - like having a page/link of "powered by" that would take you to the copyright of the add-ons.  Needless to say the admins like that idea, but the developers don't as they don't get the "in your face" exposure that having it on every page gives.

I don't know why it is considered a bad thing -- you think the software is good and yet you do not want a seal of quality to assure others that you have this good software?

The fact is that you pay for others work but as Lindy has pointed out, you have not paid as much and instead have the copyright notice and link.

This also applies to third-party items.

Don't like having these things and don't want to pay? Make it yourself.

2 hours ago, Fandel said:

The copyright can be left in the files and anyone interested can see the source code and would see the reference to the software.

I'm sorry to say it, I think your missing the point. If you decided the $500 is an outrages price, still nothing would change. Of course I'm sure nobody minds you having your saying or giving input into the matter, yet your going on and I don't want to offend it sounds like your obsessed.

Hence why I recommend not touching the copyright.

8 hours ago, Joey_M said:

Also, I don't suggest that you edit or alter the IPS copyright in any way

Whatever forum software you use, this will exist. If you find vB to more flexible priced then fair enough but I've used phpBB, MyBB, SMF, Ikonboard (back in the day), vB (never really liked it myself) but the copyright pre-exists on them all.

Most won't even grant permission to remove it, let alone purchase it.

Copyright shouldn't really become an issue.

How many of your customers will want to purchase a forum? I doubt it's not many, so I wouldn't worry.

22 minutes ago, Joey_M said:

I'm sorry to say it, I think your missing the point. If you decided the $500 is an outrages price, still nothing would change. Of course I'm sure nobody minds you having your saying or giving input into the matter, yet your going on and I don't want to offend it sounds like your obsessed.

Hence why I recommend not touching the copyright.

Whatever forum software you use, this will exist. If you find vB to more flexible priced then fair enough but I've used phpBB, MyBB, SMF, Ikonboard (back in the day), vB (never really liked it myself) but the copyright pre-exists on them all.

Most won't even grant permission to remove it, let alone purchase it.

Copyright shouldn't really become an issue.

How many of your customers will want to purchase a forum? I doubt it's not many, so I wouldn't worry.

This is a good post. No matter what software you use, this will exist. Some will allow you to remove it some will not. With IPS though, you are giving the option to remove it. At least they give you this option because some do not. 

I have used many different types of software over the years and have always found that IPB works best for me. 

The only reason I would ever want the branding removed from the bottom is because I don't want copycat competitors to easily find out how to reproduce a knock off of my site. Call me crazy but I kind of wish IPB would raise their prices so that it would create a higher barrier to entry for copy cat competitors.

1 hour ago, superj707 said:

The only reason I would ever want the branding removed from the bottom is because I don't want copycat competitors to easily find out how to reproduce a knock off of my site. Call me crazy but I kind of wish IPB would raise their prices so that it would create a higher barrier to entry for copy cat competitors.

A quick look at the source code would give up the provenience of the software so I don't think it's much of a barrier for copycats (maybe really stupid ones :)). I always feel like I can see the pull-and-tug of IPS trying to address both enterprise clients and smaller-scale clients, stability v. features, streamlining v. feature creep, etc. It's got to be a tough balancing act.

OP: The idea of using IPS software under license and adding competitor links to the copyright line is pretty damn petty.

7 minutes ago, David T. Cole said:

A quick look at the source code would give up the provenience of the software so I don't think it's much of a barrier for copycats (maybe really stupid ones :)). I always feel like I can see the pull-and-tug of IPS trying to address both enterprise clients and smaller-scale clients, stability v. features, streamlining v. feature creep, etc. It's got to be a tough balancing act.

The idea of using IPS software under license and adding competitor links to the copyright line is pretty damn petty.

Wait What?

With all due respect I think what I have said was totally misunderstood.

I am saying people (other people in the world) can see the link at the bottom of my site and go purchase their own copy of IPS and knock off my site. While this might be nice for IPS, I don't like it so much. I think a good solution might be more upfront expense for the suite.  Only serious people can purchase, making it hard for copy cat jerks to make their own site and steal my traffic. Possibly more revenue for IPS as well.  WIN WIN.

Only my opinion

Archived