Enhanced Google Maps Intergration in 4.1.17.1

The Old Man

Hi folks,

I've checked my API key in the AdminCP for Google Maps intergration after upgrading to 4.1.17.1 and when I click on save, it says " That API key is not valid or does not have the Google Maps JavaScript API and/or Google Static Maps API enabled. Make sure you have followed all of the steps in the setup instructions. You may have to wait a few minutes after enabling the API for it to take effect. "

I have checked the Help page and it has been updated and now says you need to enable 4 API's now, which I have done:

• Google Maps Javascript API
  • Google Static Maps API
  • Google Maps Embed API
  • and the Google Maps Geocoding API.

However when I check the API dashboard at Google, it shows 100% error rate but no explanation why.

23-12-2016 18-33-10.jpg

23-12-2016 18-32-45.jpg

I have double checked my API key is correct, and it is, but either IPS or Google won't accept it.

Anyone else noticed this?

I've deleted and recreated a new API key following the instructions again, and it still doesn't work for me.

When I enter the API key in the AdminCP it still says "That API key is not valid or does not have the Google Maps JavaScript API and/or Google Static Maps API enabled. Make sure you have followed all of the steps in the setup instructions. You may have to wait a few minutes after enabling the API for it to take effect."

When I try to embed a Google Map (I've found out the short URL's won't embed, only the full long URL's) it says "The Google Maps API server rejected your request. The provided API key is expired." I've checked the AdminCP and it has the old API Key there as it won't save the new one because seemingly it fails.

I've checked the Domain Verifcation and and Credentials all seem okay, but the new API key keeps being refused, not that the old one worked anyway.

I've tried Regenerating the Key as it says it will be available instantly, and that is refused in AdminCP as well.

I've tried going to another one of my communities and just clicking save without changing anything on my existing API key there, and it says the same error message. Different website, different key, different credentials but also different version of IPS, as not yet upgraded from 16.1 to 17.1.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm still having issues with this in 4.1.18.2.  I tried again yesterday creating a new Google Maps API key and the other required 3.

It seems to be when you enable API key restriction as recommended by Google after creating your API key.

When set to Http referrers (websites), Google blocks IPS and you can't save the API key is AdminCP. If you select None, AdminCP immediately allows you to save the Key and hits start showing in the API Dashboard. However your key then shows with a warning that says: 

This API key is unrestricted. To prevent unauthorised use and quota theft, restrict your key to limit how it can be used.

I have a verified domain in the credentials (domain.net), so is the issue with IPS or the API side of things?

On 9 February 2017 at 6:43 AM, Cheshir said:

In  Google Static Maps APi settings -> tab The secret for signing URL (3rd tab) Click the "Allow non-signed requests" or from the so called...

I didn't have to do anything with the Static Maps API, I just leave it after enabling it and it works okay once I've turned off API Key Restriction to None from Http.

Archived