Article thumbnails - by onlyME

KentT

After purchasing and using his Topic ThumbnaiIs plug-in, I paid @onlyME to create something similar for Pages records as a custom project. I'm posting here, not only to praise his excellent work (and this patience during my testing) but to show the results, and see if there is enough interest to convince him to package it as a plug-in for the Marketplace also... I certainly think there might be.

First, a snapshot of what the end results looks like in the typical record list underneath a Category:.. Much more interesting and engaging than a text-based list of records, IMO.

record_list.jpg

Those are the default 60x60 thumbnails, but you can specify other sizes. You can change the thumbnails that are automatically generated similar to how you can change a Topic thumbnail (with similar permissions settings) - by clicking on it to bring up this dialogue.  Note that you can choose to create a thumbnail from the Record Image if you are using them -- it does not change the Record Image (or its functionality) in any way - it is just used to create the separately stored thumbnail.

change_article_thumbnail.jpg

Note that you can select an External URL to use to create a thumbnail -- this is a VERY slick way of creating unique thumbnails for use in "color-coding" and categorizing  types of records or for records that have no images in them.

But, perhaps better yet, if your record has multiple images in it -- either uploaded or embedded by URL -- you can select which image to use for the thumbnail, similar to specifying which image in a Gallery album to use as the album cover. 

select_from_content.jpg

So, chime in if you'd be interested and like onlyME to offer this in the Marketplace, and provide continued support and enhancement (my only motivation here)...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, dikkertjedap said:

Please help plugin loaded en database error there is no Go to Pages > Templates > Database Templates > Listing > recordRow (you or other listing template that your database is using in 'Listing Template Group' setting)

Can you give me ACP access?

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, kotaco said:

Is it possible to set default record images with this? 

For example if a user doesn't submit an image with his article, can it display a default one set by the admin?

It has a default "no image" thumbnail that you can replace with your own to use as default...

• 3 months later...

Got errors and doesn't work properly  if I click on the thumbnail and change from record image to external url, then change back to record image shows no image and when i click on the thumb, it shows external url as being selected

8 minutes ago, amator said:

Got errors and doesn't work properly  if I click on the thumbnail and change from record image to external url, then change back to record image shows no image and when i click on the thumb, it shows external url as being selected

Was the thumbnail changed? Or the error only in the popup?

3 minutes ago, amator said:

Nope, it never changes. I need to unninstall and reinstall. The error doesnt allow me to access the page

You need to remove the code in template too. If you can not make it works, give me acp access I will take a look.

Archived