Keep Member Name?

Michael R

Just upgraded to 4.1.17. While deleting member registration I see there is a new option after clicking OK

Keep Member Name?

• Member Name
    • Keep Name
    • Remove Name
      Name will be changed to 'Guest'

Can some one explain what these options mean? Seems sill to keep a member name or change it to 'Guest' if you are removing a member who is not going to be validated.

I think I 've read that "Keep Name" means that content belonging to a deleted member account would appear as 'Guest_$name' while "Remove Name" means that content would appear as 'Guest'. I

n Michael R's case, an account that is not going to be validated would not matter and the account would be totally deleted.

Its referring to any of their content, as usually upon deletion of a member account the post name and other entries tend to get renamed to _Guest_ or suchlike.

I have raised this internally as if the account in question has no content at all the question is a bit academic really. :)

2 minutes ago, AndyF said:

I have raised this internally as if the account in question has no content at all the question is a bit academic really.

That is actually the situation I find myself in. Deleting members with no content shouldn't need to see this message.

Do you know if it will be possible to convert previously deleted members with the Guest_ prefix to "keep name" in the future?

Ted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello ! :)

I'm removing member accounts which have no content and who have not logged in for several years.

Each time I click on the delete button, I get a new page with this message and options to choose :

Keep Member Name?

• Member Name
    • Keep Name
    • Remove Name
      Name will be changed to 'Guest'

•  

Why should I keep the name of a member I want to delete ?... This member has no content.

Is there a way to get rid of this option ?

Thank you ! :)

On 09/12/2016 at 2:06 PM, Michael R said:

Seems sill to keep a member name or change it to 'Guest' if you are removing a member who is not going to be validated.

I've discovered this option today, and I found it puzzling because the member accounts I was deleting had no content so I first didn't understand and I first thought it was a bug.

I think this option is useless :

• When a member asks for his account to be deleted, he also often wants the content he published and any other tracks of his activity on the board to be deleted too. So there is no need to keep his name.
  • If the member has no content we shouldn't get this page asking if we want to keep the member's name.
  • If the member doesn't care about his content not being deleted, I think we should anyway have his name replaced by "Guest" (or something like this).

Also, this option makes me lose time : each time I need to delete an account I get this page asking me if I want to keep the member name...

Thank you. :)

• 3 months later...
On 9/12/2016 at 1:03 PM, AndyF said:

Its referring to any of their content, as usually upon deletion of a member account the post name and other entries tend to get renamed to _Guest_ or suchlike.

I have raised this internally as if the account in question has no content at all the question is a bit academic really. :)

Where i can find the word _Guest_?

I want to change it.

1 hour ago, pequeno said:

Where i can find the word _Guest_?

I want to change it.

This is for IPS4 ?

If you delete a member you're offered the choice of keeping the name or having it changed to 'Guest'  :)

To answer your question fully, its in the language. Edit the language pack and search for "Guest" via the language search box on the right hand side (not the ACP search box)

You should end up with two pages of results, its on the first page about 4 or 5 entries up from the end of that page, its exact position may vary if you are using a custom language pack and / or depending on what other applications you have installed. A pic shows best here so you can see exactly which entry I mean. Simply enter what you want on the right and save.

I have just re-checked this by altering it and deleting the account in question and it is correct and functional.

guest_name.png

2 minutes ago, AndyF said:

This is for IPS4 ?

Yes @AndyF Sorry!

I ask for this because in the other version of IPB you could put a prefix and sun suffix.

It is interesting for me to put prefix_userdeletedname for example: deleted_username

If I deleted a user and Keep the name, Can other person register with this username and post topics?

I should point out I expect if you change that entry then all guest content will have whatever you enter there but this could be quite useful.

Yes it will allow that name to be used if you choose to keep it, as it will prefix it with Guest (but without the _) so for an example:

You delete the account "Tester123" but choose to keep the name. The posts etc are named "Guest Tester123"

There is no issue in registering as "Tester123" after this, as there is a distinction between the names, plus guests do not have a "profile" as such.

Archived