No more go to first unread post link in topic

Tom_K

There used to be a "go to first unread post" link within a topic.

Let's say there's a topic with 5 pages and I read the topic when it was two and a half pages long.

When I see the topic I click its title which brings me to the first page. I have no link to go to the first unread post within that topic.

It makes sense to show the user there are unread posts especially if he came to the topic from search results pointing to page 1 which he has already read.

Why was the link removed?

Casdfsdfture.PNG

The blue circles means there are unread posts for you in the topic. Click the circle, takes you to the first unread post.

If the circle is instead a star, that means that you have posted in the topic and there are unread posts in the topic. Clicking the star takes you to the first unread post.

If the star is grey, that means you have posted in the topic but you have read everything in the thread.

No circle or star means you haven;t posted in the topic but you have read everything in there.

Should the topic title itself always link to the first unread post? Perhaps. If you want that behavior here you go:

Now, here's where it get's tricky. If you don't want to use the above plugin and actually want a link within the topic to take you to the newest posts which is what you are asking for, hmmmm.

Thing is, once you are in a topic, by defualt you have now "read" it.  Not sure what you ask can be done (easily at least) on IPS4x.

Best solution is probably the plugin linked above.

Edited by Flitterkill

1 hour ago, Flitterkill said:

Best solution is to use a somewhat standard format in that the topic links to the first unread post.  Pretty sure most of the scripts perform the same, not requiring you to click on a little round circle to read the newest post.

XenForo - click on topic takes you to first unread post
Burning Board - click on topic takes you to the first unread post
myBB - click on the topic takes you to the first unread post

Seeing a trend here yet?  IPS is apparently the only one that the users have to learn a whole new process for.  Really helps towards that user friendliness, requiring them to learn a whole new process JUST to use your site compared to other (possibly competitor) sites that they use.  Guess which they will tend to keep going back to?  Odds are it's not going to be the strange duck that requires them to have to relearn/think about what is "normal" for them on other sites.

And to top it off, clicking on that little round button is not "easy" on mobile when compared to clicking on that nice long topic text.

Edited by T. D. Perry

• 2 weeks later...

Yes and no.. if the actual topic link took  you to the first unread, that icon would be not necessary.  Using an icon in the topic is (to me) a kludge to get around the fact that the topic link taking you to the first unread does not exist (instead of clicking on the icon, which most users are NOT used to doing since competing software performs differently).

Edited by T. D. Perry

15 hours ago, TSP said:

You are not properly reading what he has written. 

He is missing the go to first unread link that was within topics. He is not asking for going to first unread link in lists of topics at all. 

Exactly. Guess I won't get any IPS feedback on this.

• 6 months later...

Is there a plugin that could bring this feature back? Let's say a user is searching for something on my community and the search results take him to page 50 of 100 of a topic. There are unread posts in that topic on page 89.

How does the user even realize there are unread posts?

On 28.11.2016 at 11:04 PM, Tom_K said:

Exactly. Guess I won't get any IPS feedback on this.

I was missing the exact same thing and left feedback about it during the 4.0 beta period, but I didn't get any response either. Perhaps it was missed out, but it seems it is not missed by many.

EDIT: I didn't see the date of the topic. Need more coffee.

Edited by Andrej

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/13/2016 at 11:30 AM, Flitterkill said:

Holy.... I can't even begin to clarify how much this was frustrating me.  As a new IPS customer but a long (long, long, very long) time forum admin & user, never would I have guessed at clicking on the those icons in order to go to the first new unread post.  

Is this behavior still applicable to the current 4.4.8 release?  No ACP option or anything so that the default behavior of clicking on a post title goes to the 1st new post?

Anybody know if the plugin linked above is universal, meaning that it'll work in all spots where the thread title may be linked?

• 1 year later...

IPS has stated in other threads in the peer 2 peer forums that the functionality never actually worked as intended as all blocks are cached which meant the "unread" indicator was being cached for whoever refreshed the page after the most recent cache dump. So while it seemed to work it really wasn't and you really saw this issue on larger sites or sites with longer block caching.

They have no intention to bring it back.

5 hours ago, Morrigan said:

IPS has stated in other threads in the peer 2 peer forums that the functionality never actually worked as intended as all blocks are cached which meant the "unread" indicator was being cached for whoever refreshed the page after the most recent cache dump. So while it seemed to work it really wasn't and you really saw this issue on larger sites or sites with longer block caching.

They have no intention to bring it back.

i didn't ask for IPS to bring it back if you read my comment again, i was inquiring if the plugin that put this option back was going to be updated.

13 hours ago, The Old Man said:

Hi, are you guys talking about this in Account Settings? It used to be a site wide activity stream setting in the AdminCP, but now it's available per user and doesn't specifically mention activity streams any longer?

2F063E66-694B-4C0D-9E82-6C09528BAE73.thumb.jpeg.dde7a70cf23c14236938db8999111be4.jpeg

If not, apologies!

its just a simple  "go to first unread post" link/button  within a topic.  when you have say for example 10 pages of posts. click the unread button and it takes you to the first unread post. saves looking through a topic to find the ones you haven't read.

my members have used it since v3 days and its worked fine for them and my self,