About This File

Quizzes is a fun (graded quiz - one right answer) application which allows you and your members to add Quizzes to your forum. With leaderboards, categories and a unique layout, The Quizzes is sure to be a hit with your members. The Quizzes comes, among other things, with the following features:

• Unlimited categories of quizzes, plus unlimited depth of parent-child relationships with a lot of settings, including:
    • Category icon
    • Extra fields
    • Minimum and maximum number of questions and answers per quiz
    • Comments and reviews, including requirement to play the quiz to submit a review
    • Tags & Prefixes
    • Requirement to take quizzes, by:
      • Number of content items
      • Number of reputation points/likes
      • Number of days as a member
      • Groups
    • Discussion topic: will create a topic when a new quiz is submitted. Also there's an option to create a reply showing the score/time when someone completes the quiz
  • Per-category permissions to show category, view quizzes, submit quizzes, comment and review quizzes
  • Per member settings: allows to access the app and allows to submit quizzes
  • Per group settings: allows to access the app, how many approved content items must have to access the app
  • Integrates into IPS4 Moderating system, which all commons permissions, such as pin, unpin, delete, feature, move, etc.
  • Robust Admin Restrictions
  • Type of content field: textarea for plain text or IPS4 editor
  • Ability to set the minimum/maximum title length and description length
  • Ability for users to report potentially offensive content using the built-in Report Center
  • Search integration: search adverts along with the rest of your community’s content
  •  Supports item marking, allowing your users to see what adverts have been added or commented/reviewed on
  • Integrates into Activity Streams
  •  Integrates to Share Links to share
  • Integration to Member Filters (Bulk Mail, etc.)
  • Integration with ACP Live Seach (categories)
  • Support for notifications such as new quizzes, comments, reviews and when someone completes a quiz
  • Ability to follow/like categories and individual quizzes
  • Ability to upload or import an image from a URL to be the Quiz image. The image will be displayed on quiz view, categories, etc.
  • Quiz protection: the game will be aborted if you leave the current tab/browser. This is to avoid users from search elsewhere. That's a setting.
  • Setting to allow users to play a quiz only once
  • Feedback: you can create funny phrases to be used on Quiz results according to user score
  • Totally functional on mobile devices
  • More...

Edited by Adriano Faria
1 hour ago, jair101 said:

One suggestion: Random generation of quizzes based on pool of questions. So the quiz might have 5 questions, but if you have pool of 500, then users can take the same quiz over and over again without being bored. 

There was a flash version of "Who wants to be a millionaire", the principle was the same. 

This is a first version. It will get better... :)

Just purchased - I built a basic version of this one for 3.x - never got around to upgrade it to 4.x and then probably would not ever been able to surpass what Adriano does. Before further telling how happy I am, let's first get this one to work.

I'm still on an old version - 4.0.8 and waiting to upgrade when my account credit is there - but when creating a quiz I get the following. Just so you can check, will do the upgrade soon and then report if issue is fixed.

https://www.example.com/forum/quizzes/submit/?do=submit&category=1&_new=1

The www.example.com page isn’t working
www.example.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500
28 minutes ago, Donkerrood said:

Just purchased - I built a basic version of this one for 3.x - never got around to upgrade it to 4.x and then probably would not ever been able to surpass what Adriano does. Before further telling how happy I am, let's first get this one to work.

I'm still on an old version - 4.0.8 and waiting to upgrade when my account credit is there - but when creating a quiz I get the following. Just so you can check, will do the upgrade soon and then report if issue is fixed.

https://www.example.com/forum/quizzes/submit/?do=submit&category=1&_new=1

The www.example.com page isn’t working
www.example.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

4.0.8? You mean IPS 4.0.8?

If so, you are WAY too obsolet. I'm sorry. This is supposed to work in 4.1.X. Tested on 4.1.16.1.

I don't develop resources to work in 4.0.8. It even isn't available to download!

2 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

Your suggestions is noted! :)

Thanks, yes I think you allow image attachments in the question / answer because you offer IPS 4 editor.  Purchased.

You have some (unexpectedly) nice features:

• Quiz protection: the game will be aborted if you leave the current tab/browser. This is to avoid users from search elsewhere. That's a setting.
  • Feedback: you can create funny phrases to be used on Quiz results according to user score

This is a very robust application for initial release, I'm impressed.  

3 minutes ago, Gabriel Torres said:

@Adriano Faria

Installed here and going through all the settings. There is one setting that I think is missing: "which groups can submit quizzes". Here we want only members of our staff to be able to create quizzes, and not any user. I hope you can implement this in a coming version. Thank you a lot! :)

This is a per category permission, just like any other app. Take a look there. :)

4 minutes ago, Joel R said:

Thanks, yes I think you allow image attachments in the question / answer because you offer IPS 4 editor.  Purchased.

You have some (unexpectedly) nice features:

This is a very robust application for initial release, I'm impressed.  

Glad you liked it. :)

So much awesome! Thanks @Adriano Faria!

Can i offer some suggestions for future releases:

- Increase the number of questions from 15 to something a bit higher (maybe 20 or 30)?

- Have the option where a quiz can be on a points scale, and each answer is worth a certain number of points, which is tallied up at the end

- Have each quiz have its own feedback rating, possibly even customisable by the end user who adds the quiz

- Set a time limit per question

- Set a time delay per question (so you can't answer the next question until x seconds have passed)

Edited by Adam_S
Just now, Gabriel Torres said:

@Adriano Faria I've just found the second missing string:  quizz_auto_follow

Tks.

1 minute ago, Adam_S said:

- Increase the number of questions from 15 to something a bit higher (maybe 20 or 30)?

The issue here is the steps. Not sure will display fine 30 steps. Tested 20 and works fine. Althought they look a bit messy. 

3 minutes ago, Adam_S said:

- Have the option where a quiz can be on a points scale, and each answer is worth a certain number of points, which is tallied up at the end

- Have each quiz have its own feedback rating, possibly even customisable by the end user who adds the quiz

Not sure I follow. 

3 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Not sure I follow. 

So basically, the second one first (as it'll make more sense):

When a person add a new quiz, they have the option of adding their own feedback at the end of the quiz (similar to the feedback section you have added on the ACP).  They can write their own text in there and its allocated to that quiz only.

When a person is entering questions and answers into a quiz that they've created, they also have the option of giving it a value.  At the end, the values are totalled up, and compared against the feedback in the previous paragraph, the user is given customised text.

So for example.  3 questions with 3 answers each:

Q 1: What colour is the sky?

A1: Grey  (value 2)
A2: Yellow (value 4)
A3: Blue (value 6)

Q 2: What is the colour of water?

A1: Blue (value 6)
A2: Green (value 4)
A3: Pink (value 0)

Q 3: What hair colour do you see the most?

A1: Blonde (value 3)
A2: Brunette (value 4)
A3: Black (value 2)

Then if you have customised feedback values for each quiz:

If the total value is between 1 and 5, they would get feedback "You should get checked for colour blindness".  If the total value is between 5 and 10, feedback string would be "Close but no cigar!".  If total value was over 10, feedback string would be "Wow, you are just awesome!".

If a person answers with answers 1, 1, and 3, their total would be 10, and they'd get feedback "Close but no cigar!".  If they answered with answers 2, 3, and 1, their total would be 7 and would get feedback "You should get checked for colour blindness".

This way, with custom feedback and values, people who create the quizzes could really go crazy with anything they wanted with your app! :)  

Does this all make sense (sorry for the long post!)

3 minutes ago, Adam_S said:

So basically, the second one first (as it'll make more sense):

When a person add a new quiz, they have the option of adding their own feedback at the end of the quiz (similar to the feedback section you have added on the ACP).  They can write their own text in there and its allocated to that quiz only.

When a person is entering questions and answers into a quiz that they've created, they also have the option of giving it a value.  At the end, the values are totalled up, and compared against the feedback in the previous paragraph, the user is given customised text.

So for example.  3 questions with 3 answers each:

Q 1: What colour is the sky?

A1: Grey  (value 2)
A2: Yellow (value 4)
A3: Blue (value 6)

Q 2: What is the colour of water?

A1: Blue (value 6)
A2: Green (value 4)
A3: Pink (value 0)

Q 3: What hair colour do you see the most?

A1: Blonde (value 3)
A2: Brunette (value 4)
A3: Black (value 2)

Then if you have customised feedback values for each quiz:

If the total value is between 1 and 5, they would get feedback "You should get checked for colour blindness".  If the total value is between 5 and 10, feedback string would be "Close but no cigar!".  If total value was over 10, feedback string would be "Wow, you are just awesome!".

If a person answers with answers 1, 1, and 3, their total would be 10, and they'd get feedback "Close but no cigar!".  If they answered with answers 2, 3, and 1, their total would be 7 and would get feedback "You should get checked for colour blindness".

This way, with custom feedback and values, people who create the quizzes could really go crazy with anything they wanted with your app! :)  

Does this all make sense (sorry for the long post!)

Wow, this would basically change the whole thing. Anyway, suggestions noted. :)

Fixes on v1.0.0:

• [ACP > Quizzes > Category > Submissions] Minor grammatical fix: "NOTE: This setting will be overriden if the permission Bypass content moderation? is enabled ..."
  • [ACP > Quizzes > Settings] Type of Content field = Editor WYSIWYG.  But quiz still uses Textarea. :( 
  • No thumbnail on quiz listing, even though picture is uploaded.  See screenshot.  

Quiz Listing.JPG

Quiz Detail.JPG

Small suggestions on v1.0.0:

• Increase maximum questions per quiz.  
  • Minimum answers per question: allow 2.  
  • Allow owner to test, but not count in score
  • When create question, show as many empty 'answer fields' as allowed by default.   Example: If "Maximum answers per question" = 5, then show 4 spaces wrong answers which I can fill out.  Ignore empty wrong answers when create question.  (Why?  Because it saves me from needing to click "+Add another")   
  • Check if 'correct' answer is duplicated with 'incorrect' answers.  

Big suggestions:

• Allow create quizzes on back-end
  • Allow create quizzes using XML import / export
  • Integrate with iAwards by @-RAW-
1 hour ago, Adam_S said:

Have each quiz have its own feedback rating, possibly even customisable by the end user who adds the quiz

When I looked for example quizzes online, one common feedback is Easy / Medium / Hard.  This might be an example of a 'customized feedback rating'.

1 hour ago, Adriano Faria said:

The issue here is the steps. Not sure will display fine 30 steps. Tested 20 and works fine. Althought they look a bit messy. 

I don't really like the IPS steps.  And that should not stop us from creating quizzes with many questions.  

Please think about making your own simple counter (eg. "You are on 2 out of 40 questions.")

9 hours ago, jair101 said:

One suggestion: Random generation of quizzes based on pool of questions. So the quiz might have 5 questions, but if you have pool of 500, then users can take the same quiz over and over again without being bored. 

There was a flash version of "Who wants to be a millionaire", the principle was the same. 

This would be amazing.  One bank of questions can create infinite quizzes.