Nexus / Commerce Search Integration,

DannyPhantom

Been a few posts on this for about a year now, every couple of months I ask about it and they say they are working on it but no ETA.

I run a store which uses only commerce and pages, every day that goes by that my store doesn't have a search I am potentially losing money. I have had enough and been working on moving away from Invision Power for my store, shame as I am also setting up another store which I was also going to use commerce for.

Shame I have been with Invision Power for about 6 years now, and own 3 Licenses (across multiple accounts). :(

• 2 months later...
  • Management

At a user level, I completely understand (and agree with) the expectation that everything across the entire suite should be searchable. At a technical level, it's not quite that simple. To allow for the most common apps to be searched in an efficient manner, IPS4 utilizes a search index that consolidates basic entries of content. It would take ages to search and cripple many environments to search everything independently or do a series of joins across a dozen tables. The downside to this approach is, not everything is in the search index at this point. 

4.2 will see some basic search improvements. 4.3 (which we also expect this year, so don't panic - it's not years out) will see a search engineering overhaul to include an even more robust system -- including elasticache. 

The ability to search Pages and Commerce comes up a lot - it's definitely something we are going to address as soon as possible.

@Lindy, won't this be something that will be easier to deal with once ElasticSearch is integrated?  I know it won't help those that are on shared hosting (unless they have access to a VPS to run ElasticSearch on and integrate with)?  I realize that the MySQL search has limitations in the performance aspect for this, but maybe making it an "option" that requires ElasticSearch would be the best solution?

17 hours ago, Lindy said:

4.2 will see some basic search improvements. 4.3 (which we also expect this year, so don't panic - it's not years out) will see a search engineering overhaul to include an even more robust system -- including elasticache. 

Use Redis, it's open source.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2017 at 9:24 PM, Lindy said:

@Lindy Will the 4.2 basic search improvements include commerce search?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
7 hours ago, Lindy said:

Unfortunately, the search improvements, including commerce and external search were shelved until 4.3 as it's a pretty large undertaking and engagement was the focus of 4.2. 

Okay, thank you for the feedback, it's appreciated.

One more quick question.  With the search in 4.3 include commerce search, at the very least on product title?  If yes I'll wait for 4.3.  If not I'll start now a write my own plugin as I can not wait much longer.  I'll probably have to butcher my way through it but basic search via a plugin will be better than no search until 4.3 comes out.

Again, thank you for your reply.

Guylain

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Lindy

I've got an E-Mail for the next bigger release,
and here I would know if we're able in future to use the search function on commerce, too.

I only do need it for our company planning, if we need to build a own search solution or not.
It's not the problem if the team says that their not able to do this at this time and with such an answer all people could live with a potted answer.
please don't understand me wrong, 
It would not make sense, if we start building solutions and with the next release we would getting this.

Greetings,

Dan

Archived