IPS in the Cloud storage

Wonster

Hello guys

The storage space is staggering low 5gb for the 30$ plan, and so on (all plans). I think it should be at least triple of the current size, or give the option to buy more for a couple of bucks.

But I think I shouldn't hold my breath for this to happen, most likely I would die millions of times in a row.

What other options do I have? Amazon S3 ? how that works ?  can store profile photos or just forum attachments?

Thanks

4 hours ago, amator said:

Hello guys

The storage space is staggering low 5gb for the 30$ plan, and so on (all plans). I think it should be at least triple of the current size, or give the option to buy more for a couple of bucks.

But I think I shouldn't hold my breath for this to happen, most likely I would die millions of times in a row.

What other options do I have? Amazon S3 ? how that works ?  can store profile photos or just forum attachments?

Thanks

Yes, you want to set up Amazon S3 for all of your content to minimize your storage in CIC. You can pick and choose what content you want to serve from S3 file storage settings. 

Keep in mind the 5gb is only the attachments and add-ons. You can of course use S3 or an external server via FTP for storage above this. The Cloud is a Software as a Service and not your everyday host, got to keep in mind what you're getting with it and weigh the costs of going on your own.

40 minutes ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

Check out Lindy's video below. I use amazon myselve - and I like it very much. I have a lot of images - and also use Cross region replication of those images..

I don't know anything about Amazon S3. Will this work with files and screenshots too? For example, would uploaded files be downloaded from S3 instead of my host? 

2 hours ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

Check out Lindy's video below. I use amazon myselve - and I like it very much. I have a lot of images - and also use Cross region replication of those images..

Seems incredibly complicated, how would the standard user work that out themself.

Also nothing about a CDN in that video.

10 hours ago, amator said:

What happens if I decide to go for self-host? The amazon s3 data can be easily imported on the new server?

Since your files, attachments, and images are stored on S3, they don't need to be 'imported' from your CiC to self-hosted.  They're already on S3.

8 hours ago, marklcfc said:

Do I need to use a CDN alongside that?

No, they are two separate services.  To make it simple:

Amazon S3 = storage.  Literally, where you store your files.

Amazon Cloudfront = content network distribution.   Accelerates delivery of your websites by using edge locations that are located closer to your end users.

3 hours ago, CP said:

Will this work with files and screenshots too? For example, would uploaded files be downloaded from S3 instead of my host? 

Yes, you can pick and choose when you want to use S3, and when you don't.  For example, I store all of my attachments, files, and images on S3 but keep my core website files saved on my self-hosted server.  

Go to ACP > System > Overview - Files > Storage Settings.  You will see a list of all items you can save on S3 or any other file storage of your choosing.  

Yes, the files will be delivered and downloaded from S3.  For example, if you view the URL, you'll see that the URL will be s3.amazonaws.com/myamazonbucket/image.jpg.

1 hour ago, Joel R said:

Since your files, attachments, and images are stored on S3, they don't need to be 'imported' from your CiC to self-hosted.  They're already on S3.

No, they are two separate services.  To make it simple:

Amazon S3 = storage.  Literally, where you store your files.

Amazon Cloudfront = content network distribution.   Accelerates delivery of your websites by using edge locations that are located closer to your end users.

So can you use a CDN whilst hosting your own files? And would that be beneficial or is both suggested?

Just now, marklcfc said:

So can you use a CDN whilst hosting your own files?

Yes, CDN is independent of any storage method.

Just now, marklcfc said:

And would that be beneficial?

There's a cost to CDN, but yes it's designed to 'speed up' your website by serving your files from edge locations instead of your server.

• Management
On 10/21/2016 at 7:27 PM, ResPecT My Authoritah said:

i agree.. 5gb.. is nothing.. 30 a month should get you more space

$30/mo. is getting you ~$500 worth of software, priority support and a turnkey solution that's designed specifically for IPS products... you'll never have to battle requirements, out of date environment software or be caught in the middle of "my host says this, but IPS says that!" We're not a host... we're more akin to a Software as a Service provider. If you're looking for 10TB for $1.99/mo. - yes, you'd probably want to look elsewhere. ;)

Back on point... Joel has explained S3 very well. The S3 bucket is yours and something you create (we can advise you), so it's yours and not tied exclusively to our CiC offering. Should you decide to go self-hosted, you'd actually not need to do anything in terms of attachments / storage. 

If you have any questions, you're always welcome to e-mail sales@invisionpower.com

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

@Joel R @Lindy if you add S3 on a server which has used local storage in the past, do you have to upload existing content to the S3?  Or does it automagically pull everything up to the S3?  When I upgrade to v4 I'm going to start using S3 / Cloudfront just want to make sure I set this up right.  Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Lindy said:

Once you setup S3 as a storage gateway, it will automatically move existing files to S3... unless you specifically tell it not to (such as if you wanted to do it yourself, for whatever reason.) :)

Excellent.  That works for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
1 hour ago, TheThrivingMusician said:

Any updates on this? 

What would you like an update on?  You can use the built-in cloud storage options and the quota's with each plan, you can also add your own storage options of another personal S3 account to the storage configurations, then move any items you would like to your own S3 storage, this allows you unlimited storage on your own S3. 

Please clarify

Hey @Rhett thought I replied - Was just wondering if the company was planning on offering options for a higher storage plan. 
I'm not tech savvy (at all) and development is very new to me - some things are so beyond my realm of understanding that it becomes overwhelming lol. I don't know what an S3 is - I'll have to do some research if/when my storage needs to be addressed

1 hour ago, TheThrivingMusician said:

Hey @Rhett thought I replied - Was just wondering if the company was planning on offering options for a higher storage plan. 
I'm not tech savvy (at all) and development is very new to me - some things are so beyond my realm of understanding that it becomes overwhelming lol. I don't know what an S3 is - I'll have to do some research if/when my storage needs to be addressed

No problem at all, "S3" is referring to an AWS S3 bucket, which is used to store data, in our cloud packages, we use this internally, and included with the cloud packages, you are allowed the quota of disk space per plan for your total storage. At this time there aren't any pending increases currently. You can, however, setup your own S3 Bucket under your own AWS account to add more storage if needed, then set up a second file storage location to use, and move any items needed, attachments, gallery images, etc, to use your own S3 in order to increase your storage options.  The AWS system and our file storage options are very flexible for this. 

Here is a guide of needed, and we are also available in a support ticket if needed 

Archived