Out of date Plugins and Applications

Michael R

I know when you click on Check for Updates you are supposed to see which applications and plugins are out of date. This works fine for the core IPS applications, but for whatever reason it doesn't seem to work for third party products.

So the only way I know of to check for out of date third party products is to go to my Applications and Plugins pages and compare what I have installed to those in the Marketplace. I print out my Applications and Plugins pages and then go into the Marketplace to compare. Pretty tedious. It's particularity annoying for Plugins since you have to drill down to each individual plugin to get the version number. I then have to write it down on my print out. Oy! What is this 1998?

Is there anyway you can make this simpler? At the very least can you display the Plugins' version number on the main page so you don't have to dig for it? A link to the application/plugin in the Marketplace would also be helpful.

To be a bit clearer, 3rd party apps and plugin developers can add a url that the IPS system will hit every so often. If the response it gets says there is a new version then you get the new version flag displaying, etc...

Its a nifty feature but it requires that the author have thier own website setup somewhere - this feature isn't provided to 3rd party devs by IPS directly - just something we can do if we have our own site and are inclined to set the thing up.

As Adriano points out, if that person's site is down, it won't work. It would be nice if IPS would internalize this with the Marketplace but that is something that's either not happening or will be far down the line...

48 minutes ago, Flitterkill said:

To be a bit clearer, 3rd party apps and plugin developers can add a url that the IPS system will hit every so often. If the response it gets says there is a new version then you get the new version flag displaying, etc...

Its a nifty feature but it requires that the author have thier own website setup somewhere - this feature isn't provided to 3rd party devs by IPS directly - just something we can do if we have our own site and are inclined to set the thing up.

As Adriano points out, if that person's site is down, it won't work. It would be nice if IPS would internalize this with the Marketplace but that is something that's either not happening or will be far down the line...

I think that's a great idea - if IPS could offer a simple "version check" on plugins via the Marketplace, that would be really easy to ensure when there is a IPS update, any plugins could be flagged as "incompatible" or notify owners when an updated version is offered (yes, I know the Marketplace will send an email when a plugin is updated, but having it within IPS would be more convenient).

I keep an Excel spreadsheet.  I also use the plugin to manage the versions of other plugins.  (Ive always liked the supreme irony of that plugin -- what if it goes out of date??).

And once a month I make it part of my admin duties to individually check each plugin and app against the ones in the IPS Marketplace.  I definitely wish more third party devs would offer an update check *cough cough*

On another note, I make sure I "follow" each file that I use which keeps me notified any time changes or updates are made.  

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 11:01 AM, Joel R said:

And once a month I make it part of my admin duties to individually check each plugin and app against the ones in the IPS Marketplace.  I definitely wish more third party devs would offer an update check *cough cough*

As much as I'd like to pin this on IPS, I got to do my part too and check. Good point! :p

+1 for IPS internalizing an update feature. It makes sense.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Chris59 said:

Even better not only see the updates on apps and plugins. ultimate is 3 part apps also can be downloaded and
installed  direct from ACP as ips itself  . wow that is on my top wishlist ...
+10000 on that one :lol:

Do you mean like with WordPress? This was mentioned here: 

Or do you mean something else?

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Jimmy Gavekort said:

updates please? really need this, each update i need to manually check +10 plugins, search em up etc.. takes time... A feature to automatically check regulary, and notify with compitiable version etc.

They've already provided this specific functionality  - as long as the developer has put in a) an endpoint url for the update check and b) a link to a location to download the plugin/app.and c) keeps it up to date on each release. The check is tied in to the update check that is performed every 24 hours for the main suite.

Just now, Nathan Explosion said:

They've already provided this specific functionality  - as long as the developer has put in a) an endpoint url for the update check and b) a link to a location to download the plugin/app.and c) keeps it up to date on each release.

In other words nobody are using this feature? lol

Archived