When will mobile view have lightbox for images?

Tom_K

When browsing the board on a mobile device, attachments open as a new page instead of a lightbox which has been the standard for probably last 10 years. You have to go back and click a different image to get to the next image. It's 2016!

A similar problem is present in Gallery where some sort of lightbox actually opens over the page but you can't advance to the next image. Instead you have to close the lightbox, move to the next image and open the lightbox again. Big fail!

It's been a year and a half since IPS 4 has been released and these issues are still present.

I can't think of anything that would justify having such elementary features missing or working badly for such a long time.

I know you know about them and most have been present in IPS 3.4 as well. When is IPS planning on fixing these features?

On 10/2/2016 at 2:39 PM, Tomzl said:

When browsing the board on a mobile device, attachments open as a new page instead of a lightbox which has been the standard for probably last 10 years. You have to go back and click a different image to get to the next image. It's 2016!

I think this is intentional.  They explained that opening the image in a lightbox would be too small to view in a mobile viewer.  

On 10/2/2016 at 2:39 PM, Tomzl said:

A similar problem is present in Gallery where some sort of lightbox actually opens over the page but you can't advance to the next image. Instead you have to close the lightbox, move to the next image and open the lightbox again. Big fail!

I think this happens specifically when viewing the album listing in a category.  Otherwise, the lightbox works as expected.  But I do agree this is inconsistent behavior across the application.

On 10/7/2016 at 1:07 AM, Joel R said:

I think this is intentional.  They explained that opening the image in a lightbox would be too small to view in a mobile viewer.  

I think this happens specifically when viewing the album listing in a category.  Otherwise, the lightbox works as expected.  But I do agree this is inconsistent behavior across the application.

Why? Under lightbox I mean a way to proceed to the next image. The image can be 100% width and clicking either left/right half of the image would take you to the prev/next image.

I can provide examples how other sites solve this perfectly but I didn't think the reason for this not being fixed was that IPS can't simply copy solutions available for years. Is it?

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing in Gallery. I want to move to the next/prev image while viewing the fullscreen version of images. As far as I know there is no way to do this in Gallery.

When you open the fullscreen/lightbox size of the image, you can use the left/right arrow keys but this only changes the content behind the lightbox while the lightbox still shows the same image.

This is definitely not behavior that would improve the user experience in Gallery if you can't even browse through images. Isn't that the point of having a gallery? There are multiple online services that have this done right.

I don't understand how it was overlooked when developing IPS4. I understand it would be a major change in 3.4 but why it wasn't done right for 4.0 is beyond me.

I also don't understand why there is no option to directly link a gallery album or image in a post. It's like IPS doesn't want people to use Gallery.

Should I take this as a hint that Gallery doesn't have a future at all as a separate app?

2 hours ago, Tomzl said:

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing in Gallery. I want to move to the next/prev image while viewing the fullscreen version of images. As far as I know there is no way to do this in Gallery.

When you open the fullscreen/lightbox size of the image, you can use the left/right arrow keys but this only changes the content behind the lightbox while the lightbox still shows the same image.

This is definitely not behavior that would improve the user experience in Gallery if you can't even browse through images. Isn't that the point of having a gallery? There are multiple online services that have this done right.

I see, yes you are correct.  

Yes, it's bad behavior.  

2 hours ago, Tomzl said:

I also don't understand why there is no option to directly link a gallery album or image in a post.

You should still be able to use the "rich snippet" embed to IP.Gallery albums and images.  Just copy and paste the link on its own line and it should convert.  I just tested on my own community.

@Charles , @Lindy could you give some feedback?

Handling images in general (option to attach an image by copy/pasting it, lightbox behavior, more integration with gallery so you can insert gallery images/albums in posts etc.) could use some improvement. Do you acknowledge this as an issue and what are your plans?

Archived