IPS Marketplace = useless

Omri Amos

• Management
2 hours ago, Joel R said:

If I wanted a stream then why use your IP.Downloads homepage? Why don't you slap the stream on IP.Downloads homepage because, ultimately, that's the kind of infinite customization your clients demand? 

From a larger perspective:

IP.Gallery, IP.Downloads, and IP.Commerce suffer from having hard coded blocks.  IPS has a very powerful model of offering customized blocks that can be placed into zones, but you're shortchanging that model by hard coding those apps' homepage blocks.  

I think Video box by @onlyME is a good example of an extensible front-page using mix and match of blocks unique to that app.

I've flagged the downloads index for review and improvement in the next few versions. A stream-like interface isn't a bad idea. I think the ability to shut those default blocks off altogether and use widgets (like the top submitters block on the MP index) would be the way to go. 

2 hours ago, Lindy said:

I've flagged the downloads index for review and improvement in the next few versions. A stream-like interface isn't a bad idea. I think the ability to shut those default blocks off altogether and use widgets (like the top submitters block on the MP index) would be the way to go. 

From a larger perspective, it's not just the IP.Downloads index.  It's also the IP.Commerce and IP.Gallery index.

We love the templates on the blocks.  Just let us configure the settings on the blocks.

7 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

I agree with Joel here. Widgets template in horizontal mode is poor, ugly! Blocks is way better... just use a setting.

General question: how are widgets and blocks different?  

I always thought they were the same, just different terms.  Or does IPS make a distinction between "widget" versus "block"?  

58 minutes ago, Joel R said:

General question: how are widgets and blocks different?  

I always thought they were the same, just different terms.  Or does IPS make a distinction between "widget" versus "block"?  

Take the Download Feed widget and place it horizontaly in the page. The template is ugly, no header, etc. 

30 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Take the Download Feed widget and place it horizontaly in the page. The template is ugly, no header, etc.

I see that.  

But how is that "widget" different than a "block" (can you give me an example of a "block"?)  

• Management
7 hours ago, Joel R said:

I see that.  

But how is that "widget" different than a "block" (can you give me an example of a "block"?)  

In the context of this conversation, the first three (what's new, highest rated, most downloaded) are default blocks... as in, they're baked into that page. Widgets are custom blocks that you can drag onto the page and customize. I think we'd all like to see more customizability and that's something we'll look at. 

3 hours ago, Lindy said:

In the context of this conversation, the first three (what's new, highest rated, most downloaded) are default blocks... as in, they're baked into that page. Widgets are custom blocks that you can drag onto the page and customize. I think we'd all like to see more customizability and that's something we'll look at. 

Please, keep the same layout/template then. Templates like Feed widgets are really poor.

Archived