IPS Marketplace = useless

Omri Amos

Hi,

I'm just wondering... do you realize that the IPS Marketplace is completely useless at its current state?
90% of the items, all the "highest rated", "most downloaded", search results.... everything just shows prehistoric plugins that are compatible with IPB 3.x only, and completely irrelevant for anything from the recent years....

Just wanted to point that out in case you missed it.

I consider IPS 4.x to be a standalone app that is coming "as is", with no plugins available... that is because I honestly couldn't find any useful plugin for IPS 4 at all.
And that's a shame :(

1 hour ago, Omri Amos said:

Hi,

I'm just wondering... do you realize that the IPS Marketplace is completely useless at its current state?
90% of the items, all the "highest rated", "most downloaded", search results.... everything just shows prehistoric plugins that are compatible with IPB 3.x only, and completely irrelevant for anything from the recent years....

Just wanted to point that out in case you missed it.

I consider IPS 4.x to be a standalone app that is coming "as is", with no plugins available... that is because I honestly couldn't find any useful plugin for IPS 4 at all.
And that's a shame :(

It's just math!

Capturar.png

• IP.Board 3.0 was released in 2009
  • IPS 4 was released in sep 2015

So it's pretty reasonable to find more resources to IP.Board 3. So obviously, old files has more downloads, reviews, etc.

Someone else already requested to IPS to "filter" that blocks only for new stuff; couldn't find the topic.

It's sad to say but I stopped paying attention to that storefront page a while ago. Navigating through the categories is more productive, even if just the thought of that deters most people from the Marketplace entirely. You've got to grit your teeth and work around the idea IPS currently has for a "store".

8 hours ago, Lindy said:

With the help of Omri's keen observations and insightful feedback, I am pleased to report that I have just made the Marketplace great again!™

- Lindy / Omri 2016. 

There's only one problem here. The change made also affects the My Paid Files page: https://invisionpower.com/contributors/files/

There are no 3.X  files there and sometimes we need to know who bought what, etc.

Example: 3.x files are still available to be purchased, so I need to know who's buying/requesting support because I still support PAID submissions.

• Management
19 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

There's only one problem here. The change made also affects the My Paid Files page: https://invisionpower.com/contributors/files/

There are no 3.X  files there and sometimes we need to know who bought what, etc.

Example: 3.x files are still available to be purchased, so I need to know who's buying/requesting support because I still support PAID submissions.

There's a contributor topic you're welcome to add to, as necessary. As you may recall, the contributors polled wanted to stop sales of IPB3 resources, so there should not have been anything available for purchase for a couple of months now. Feel free to contact me if that wasn't the case. 

On 9/29/2016 at 3:11 PM, Adriano Faria said:

I only pay attention to the What's New block. ^_^

This!

I try to check in often to see whats new. Sometimes I miss things as they can fall off the list quickly.

If I could have one wish it would be to allow the whats new list to work for more than a few items. I wish I could work may way back in time as far as I would like to go.

More broadly, I don't understand why IPS hardcoded these two blocks.  They should be blocks with settings like any other block.  

For websites that don't get a lot new files, you list less.  For websites that get a lot of new files, you list more.

I think the past few responses suggest that the Whats New queue doesn't even work for IPS' own Marketplace.  I don't understand how IPS thinks those hardcoded settings will be appropriate for the multitude of our websites.  

1 hour ago, Lindy said:

I'll see what I can do about the blocks. In the interim, the activity stream is a perfect use case for this. I have created a stream you may like https://invisionpower.com/discover/668/

If I wanted a stream then why use your IP.Downloads homepage? Why don't you slap the stream on IP.Downloads homepage because, ultimately, that's the kind of infinite customization your clients demand? 

From a larger perspective:

IP.Gallery, IP.Downloads, and IP.Commerce suffer from having hard coded blocks.  IPS has a very powerful model of offering customized blocks that can be placed into zones, but you're shortchanging that model by hard coding those apps' homepage blocks.  

I think Video box by @onlyME is a good example of an extensible front-page using mix and match of blocks unique to that app.

Archived