Are providing fixes in tickets gone for good?

Colonel_mortis

Previously, when I have submitted a ticket and it has been escalated to T2/3, they have added the fix to the next version, but they have also applied the fix to my site, which because I historically only submitted tickets for issues that were really impacting my site (rather than just some minor cosmetic issue). However, the last couple of important tickets (tickets that I would have submitted before buggate the destruction of the bug tracker) that I have submitted have simply been resolved with variations on "it will be fixed in 4.1.16" (or, in fact, we've made some tweaks that might fix it, which will be in 4.1.16). Those tickets are about issues that are affecting my site - one is about certain profiles, which are visited by quite a lot of members, loading very slowly (10-15 seconds of server time, far slower than the rest of my site, #963299), and another about the sitemap being completely broken, which is not only hurting SEO, but due to the nature of the breakage, it's also slowing my site down (#963786).

Both of those are issues that I would quite like resolved quickly, which is why I submitted a ticket about them. I am also not convinced that the issues (particularly the latter) will actually be fixed by the proposed changes (partly because there are very few details about what those proposed changes are, and partly because I can see no relevant changes in the 4.1.16 alpha code that is available), so I feel like it would be a good idea for you to test your changes on my site, so that you can see whether it actually does fix it.

Have you stopped distributing fixes for good, or have I just been unlucky?

1 minute ago, Charles said:

It depends on what the issue is. Sometimes we cannot patch a site if the fix is complex or untested. We try to where possible for critical issues but sometimes it's not possible.

If a fix is untested, surely it would not be appropriate to imply that a particular issue will be fixed, encouraging them to close the ticket, when you may need more information, and, particularly with the sitemap issue, you are probably not likely to be able to reproduce and test the issue properly, so you would want to be able to test the fix against the client's data.

If you just reply to the ticket and ask for a patch we usually will if we can, especially in T3. Sometimes a patch isn't possible - if it has HTML/CSS/JS changes, requires a lot of changes, or involves code which was added for other reasons, for example - and we definitely don't want to make a habit of providing a patch for every minor bug, but we want to help - just ask and we'll do our best. The person responding probably just didn't realise it was critical.

Archived