FTP-upgrade Advice

So, I'm trying to upgrade my woefully outdated site (4.1.11), but the FTP system is giving me a hard time for some reason.

I can log on with FileZilla using sftp (turning off keys and accepting passwords for ssh), but when I plot in the same info in the update process, it says nope.

Any suggestions?

Hm, perhaps your SSH config only allows one connection per login at once? Try disconnecting and closing FileZilla before getting on.

You can actually avoid FTP/SFTP all together if PHP has write access to your entire suite - the upgrader will download, extract, and redirect you to the main upgrader for you without inputting any server credentials. I found that on my Debian server (I'm sure this is also true of an Ubuntu server) that this required changing file/folder ownership to www-data (e.g. "sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/site.com/"). Of course, always make a backup before upgrading. I'm not sure if you have access to this (you would if you have a VPS or a dedicated server), but I thought I'd mention this solution. I find that this method is a lot quicker and I don't have to give up my SSH information.

Hi MDPP - thank you for the answer :-)

I had already logged off any other connections to my server, so that can't be it.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying about the upgrader working without server credentials, but I really don't mind IPS having SSH information - I would only activate them (keys, ports or passwords) while upgrading.

As it stands now, I'm unable to use the one-click upgrade of my board. I'll live - I just like it when all my stuff works.

On 9/28/2016 at 5:59 AM, Eupolemos said:

Hi MDPP - thank you for the answer :-)

I had already logged off any other connections to my server, so that can't be it.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying about the upgrader working without server credentials, but I really don't mind IPS having SSH information - I would only activate them (keys, ports or passwords) while upgrading.

As it stands now, I'm unable to use the one-click upgrade of my board. I'll live - I just like it when all my stuff works.

Same boat here too, let me know if you find a solution.

Archived