Remove notifications if a topic is moved

Colonel_mortis

If you are following a forum, and someone posts a topic there, but it is subsequently moved somewhere else, you keep the notification about that new topic, but in most cases the topic being moved means that it was in the wrong place in the first place, so users who were following the location that it was originally posted are unlikely to be interested in the topic (unless they are also following the new location too, but checking for that would probably make it overly complex).

I feel like I have mentioned this before, but I could not find the topic. Either way, on a related note: when a topic is moved it should be sent a notification about the topic for members following the forum it is moved to. Now that will only happen if it happens to fit in with the cycle of daily or weekly digests. But for example those who follow immediately will not be notified about the topic under any circumstance.

Those who follow the forum the topic is moved to should be notified. 

Just now, TSP said:

I feel like I have mentioned this before, but I could not find the topic. Either way, on a related note: when a topic is moved it should be sent a notification about the topic for members following the forum it is moved to. Now that will only happen if it happens to fit in with the cycle of daily or weekly digests. But for example those who follow immediately will not be notified about the topic under any circumstance.

Those who follow the forum the topic is moved to should be notified. 

I would like that, but IMO there should be an admin-configurable limit to how old the topic can be and still have notifications sent, because if the topic is 6 months old, and is being moved from, say, an announcements section to a general section, people don't want to be notified about that.

Just now, Colonel_mortis said:

I would like that, but IMO there should be an admin-configurable limit to how old the topic can be and still have notifications sent, because if the topic is 6 months old, and is being moved from, say, an announcements section to a general section, people don't want to be notified about that.

I guess it could be an option in the move window itself too, in the same way there is an setting to leave a topic link in the old forum or not. And the default state of the checkbox could be decided by a setting like the one you suggest. 

• 1 year later...

Archived