Recommended PHP and MySQL Upgrade?

Hi

I am at the point of having to contemplate upgrading the versions of PHP and MySQL my server is running. MySQL will work but it is already below the recommended version. The version of PHP the server is running is the minimum recommended. The server in question is Amazon AWS running Amazon Linux.

Current versions are:

PHP 5.6.24

MySQL 5.5.51

With a number of possible versions to upgrade to, and it being a pain in the ass to upgrade (especially MySQL) I wanted to upgrade to the recommended versions of each.

Additionally, can anyone recommend a specific upgrade process? What is the safest way to do it? What sort of downtime should I expect?

Cheers

John

having just read on the mariaDB the realtionship between the two, I am guessing that running them in parallel will not be possible.

Would you recommend doing a mysql version upgrade and then upgrading again to maria db, conevrting to mariadb 5.5 and then upgrading to the latest mariadb, or exporting tables and privileges uninstalling mysql, installing mariadb and then importing the mysql tables?

Don't make easy things to do difficult ^_^

The simplest method follows these steps:

1. Update your software repositories list with the MariaDB repos
  2. Update your Linux package manager with the new repos
  3. Stop MySQL
  4. Install MariaDB with your package manager
  5. Go back to work because you're done

13 hours ago, ASTRAPI said:

Don't make easy things to do difficult ^_^

The simplest method follows these steps:

1. Update your software repositories list with the MariaDB repos
  2. Update your Linux package manager with the new repos
  3. Stop MySQL
  4. Install MariaDB with your package manager
  5. Go back to work because you're done

Oh wow, so it takes care of the version upgrade? Excellent. I am guessing upgrade PHP first. Do I need to install a MariaDB version of invision or is that seemless too?

15 minutes ago, Songstuff said:

Oh wow, so it takes care of the version upgrade? Excellent. I am guessing upgrade PHP first. Do I need to install a MariaDB version of invision or is that seemless too?

MariaDB is basically MySQL, there is nothing to interact with differently from an application standpoint.

Archived