Prefork of Worker ?

Hello ! ^_^

I'm using Apache Prefork MPM on my server (Centos, 12 processors, 64 Gb ram) but I don't know if Prefork MPM is appropriate for my server which is used only for two Invision Power Community suites.

I read this about Prefork and Worker but I don't understand what it means exactly :

Prefork MPM is Multi-Processing Module (MPM) implements a non-threaded, pre-forking web server. Each server process may answer incoming requests, and a parent process manages the size of the server pool. It is appropriate for sites that need to avoid threading for compatibility with non-thread-safe libraries. It is also the best MPM for isolating each request, so that a problem with a single request will not affect any other.

Worker MPM is Multi-Processing Module (MPM) implements a hybrid multi-process multi-threaded server. By using threads to serve requests, it is able to serve a large number of requests with fewer system resources than a process-based server. However, it retains much of the stability of a process-based server by keeping multiple processes available, each with many threads.

What should I use in your opinion : Prefork or Worker ? Will it make a difference if I use Worker instead of Prefork ?

Thank you ! ^_^

Prefork MPM uses multiple child processes with one thread each and each process handles one connection at a time.

Worker MPM uses multiple child processes with many threads each. Each thread handles one connection at a time.

check also:

Event MPM:

It is similar to the worker MPM in that it also creates multiple threads per child process but with an advantage: it causes KeepAlive or idle connections (while they remain in that state) to be handled by a single thread, thus freeing up memory that can be allocated to other threads. This MPM is not suitable for use with non-thread-safe modules like mod_php, for which a replacement such a PHP-FPM must be used instead.(Minimum Apache version 2.4).

So faster is:

1)Use Nginx ^_^

2)Event MPM

3)Worker MPM

4)Prefork MPM

Archived