Show Current IPS Release Number of Forum Index Sidebar

Joy Rex

6 hours ago, Joy Rex said:

Sorry, I meant for this site, not user sites - so visitors/members who are not running IPB4 yet will know what the current version is, or if they are IPB4 users and haven't checked their ACP, they are aware of the update.

When an update is available, a notification appears at the top of the page for all admins. You don't even have to be on ACP to know when an update is available. This is a built-in feature, and a rather useful one. ^_^

6 hours ago, Joy Rex said:

Sorry, I meant for this site, not user sites - so visitors/members who are not running IPB4 yet will know what the current version is, or if they are IPB4 users and haven't checked their ACP, they are aware of the update.

We run a lot of pre-release builds and other items that a version number would not be really beneficial. The release notes provides a lot more beneficial information than seeing a number ever could ;)

On 8/23/2016 at 1:41 PM, Simon Woods said:

If you want to see the version number then I can only assume you care more than just about the number itself, that you in fact care about what is happening with the software updates. For that, we have Release Notes.

*sigh*... I posted this in Company Feedback because I think, as a software company, IPS should have it's current version (with a link to Release Notes) prominently displayed on the forum index not for owners per se, but for potential customers - if they know the software is being updated on a regular basis (without having to hunt for an announcement that might get buried by other announcements), it might incentivize them to upgrade their current 3.4.x install, or become a new customer.

On 8/23/2016 at 5:19 PM, Jim M said:

We run a lot of pre-release builds and other items that a version number would not be really beneficial. The release notes provides a lot more beneficial information than seeing a number ever could ;)

A link to the Release Notes from the version number wouldn't be that hard...

Anyways - this was just a suggestion - hopefully my meaning has been properly conveyed, and if anything, is food for thought.

Archived