Specify database names in (advanced) search

LiquidFractal

I have two research databases on my site, both of which have their item language customized as "entries."  All well and good, except that when I run an advanced search for tagged or other content, both databases show up simply as "entries" and I have to click each one, then the Categories drop-down menu to figure out which one I want to search (see attached screenshot).

I think it would be great to briefly specify which database each "Entries" entry applies to, e.g., "Entries (Schelling notes)".  If the database name is long, truncate it with an ellipse i.e., "Entries (Schelling no...)" or something - just so the user knows right off which database is which, especially if you have several databases with the same type of itemization.

search_ss.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this, but when I re-examine this issue it's even worse (as the attached screenshot shows).  I didn't really get the possible magnitude of this issue until I saw this.

When you look at the Content Types but also the Categories list, you have, well, five different Categories drop-down menus, and to state the obvious none of them specify what Content Type they're linked to (Cateogories is used for Articles, custom databases and Downloads).  Nor are they in order.

But even stranger: once you specify something that isn't All Content, the entire Categories list disappears!  Then, once you select a specific content type, the single Category listing below will reflect your choice.  But if you switch back to All Content you no longer have the long category listing in the screenshot..?!  I find this quite confusing and can be quite offputting to the average user.

I wonder why all the categories need to be listed for All Content if all content is going to be searched anyway?  This only seems to happen on first visit to the Advanced Search page.

It seems as if getting rid of the category listing when one first visits the Advanced Search page would be best - that way, all one needs to do is label each specific database, since once a user selects it the appropriate Category list will appear below anyway.

search_ss.jpg

• 1 month later...

This is actually already possible by editing the plural noun for each of your databases in ACP > Pages > Databases > Edit > Language. So if you have two databases with entries you could set one as "My 1st database entries" and the other as "My 2nd database entries".

The second issue with the categories selectors showing on the advanced search form is actually a bug which is now fixed.

Thanks Andy - this works.  But as a relative n00b, I would recommend maybe a brief blurb in the Language tab to indicate that the "plural capitalized noun" is what will show up on the Advanced Search page?  It took a bit of fiddling for me, so I thought it might make things clearer in general.  Just a thought.

Archived