Any tips on how to improve the speed?

I'm just moved my site on a semi-dedicated hosting plan with 2 CPU cores, 3 GB of RAM, 10Mbps IOPS and 60 concurrent connections (it's not a VPS, it's a shared plan for sites that have high resource needs), but my forum is still not loading fast. It's true, I have a slider with the latest gallery images on the homepage, but even so, I was expecting faster speed on this new hosting plan.

Can any of you help me improve my forums' speed?

It is not allowed to post here other server providers by the IPB rules but i was recommend you to get another server as 10 Mbps  is very very low and about the two cores do you know from which cpu do you get that cores and what speed the cores have?

As a core with 2Ghz and a core with 3Ghz is not the same...

You can get this DEDICATED server that is close to your budget:

Intel® Xeon® E3 1245 v5 4C / 8T @3.5 Ghz

32 GB DDR4

3 × 250 GB SSD - Raid 5

Premium 500 Mbit/s

Check also this topic that it may help you:

2 hours ago, Elena-Viorica said:

I just moved to them. WTF?! Please tell me a provider that can offer me more than 2 dedicated cores and 3 GB of RAM for $30 a month.

I believe you already paid 2 years to get the 30$ correct? 

As its a shared plan, you don't have access to the server, so you can't do any kind of optimizations. You can change some things in Invision ACP, like add memcached(ask your provider if they support it), etc etc. But not too much.

21 minutes ago, RevengeFNF said:

I believe you already paid 2 years to get the 30$ correct? 

No. I'm paying on a monthly basis, but they had a discount for new customers for one month. I can move to a new host in September.

22 minutes ago, RevengeFNF said:

As its a shared plan, you don't have access to the server, so you can't do any kind of optimizations.

Even if I had a VPS, how would I do that since I have no knowledge of server administration?

Meanwhile my friend is running a very active XenForo-based forum, with a photo gallery and everything, on a semi-dedicated hosting plan with half the resources I have and it loads very fast... I feel like IPS 4 is beginning to not be an option for small forums anymore... I would understand needing a VPS for large communities with thousands of daily visitors, but it's just not affordable to have to fork out so much money just to host a small community for you and a few of your friends... :(

nj.gif

I have also a friend that has a vps and can run 1.000 users at the same time with resources as yours using IPB..... does that help or is it a comparison fact? NO

Xenforo has a very well optimized quiries but that's not your issue.Your friend may have half resources (can't imagine a forum to run fast with 5Mbps IOPS )but they may be more optimized.

To make a forum run fast is not only about resources as you may need to check if you use any addons that may cause any delays or your software that you use may need some configuration adjustments....

Buying a sever and just transfer the forum there will not make any forum to run fast.....

Did you adjust any settings on your web server Apache, Nginx, or Mysql or php?

21 minutes ago, ASTRAPI said:

Did you adjust any settings on your web server Apache, Nginx, or Mysql or php?

No, I haven't. Just like I haven't adjusted any settings on my shared hosting environment over the past 2 years while my forum was on IPS 3 and was loading blazing fast with three times as many plugins installed than I have now. :aww:

Just now, Elena-Viorica said:

I think that is besides the point here. I already have the license for all the apps I want, and I would rather host it in a location that geographically suits my needs. :D

What you are doing now, its not working correct? I bet the speed of your site would be a lot faster in the IPS cloud.

If you want your own server, go for a dedicated and hire a sysadmin. You don't have other choices.

19 minutes ago, RevengeFNF said:

What you are doing now, its not working correct?

It's working, but not at the same speed it worked on IPS 3 and definitely not at the same speed a XenForo forum would work on the same server specs.

20 minutes ago, RevengeFNF said:

I bet the speed of your site would be a lot faster in the IPS cloud.

IPS cloud is not an option for reasons I already discussed in another thread.

21 minutes ago, RevengeFNF said:

If you want your own server, go for a dedicated and hire a sysadmin. You don't have other choices.

So what you're saying is that IPS 4 turned into a script that gives you three options: host it with us, buy an entire server for a site with 10 active members, or deal with a slow forum? Good going! :lol:

On 8/18/2016 at 1:54 PM, ASTRAPI said:

can't imagine a forum to run fast with 5Mbps IOPS

I contacted my host about this issue and their reply was:

"most websites won't even use more than 5MB/s Disk I/O and even if you are running a heavy traffic website, it is more likely you are constrained by CPU or RAM than Disk I/O."

2 minutes ago, EmpireKickass said:

That's what I'm going to say since it's running under the team that made IPB and you just need to run the website and leave the server to them

This has been discussed before. They are prone to suspending cloud forums for the slightest DDoS attacks. This has happened to one of my friends and at least two big YouTubers I know. I've been DDoSed before and my host mitigated the attack for just a few extra dollars. IPS Cloud is out of the question for my current needs, so I would appreciate if people would stop recommending it to me. It has been recommended three times in this thread and several times in another thread. I have purchased a license, I want to self-host my community. Thank you.

Archived