Support Gyazo oembed

Colonel_mortis

1 minute ago, David.. said:

It's not like there's just Gyazo out there. There's multiple similar sites and tools. While you might prefer Gyazo, someone else might hate it and like prntscr.com more. 

I doubt IPS will add this. 

I know that there are other tools out there that some people use (personally, I have my own hosting for images, and it, like a lot of others, is supported out of the box by IPS because it copies the image URL, including the file extension, to the clipboard rather than the URL for a viewer page). That doesn't mean that gyazo images shouldn't automatically be embedded though, just because other people use other things.

I think, though I don't have the code in front of me, that it would just involve adding one more line to the parser's code to add gyazo to the list of oembed endpoints.

prnt.sc (lightshot) doesn't seem to expose an API to allow easy embedding, so supporting it would be more difficult.

Just now, Jim M said:

Images already embed without issue so just curious of what the benefits of oembeding Gyazo you see?

Gyazo images aren't embedded because the URL that users normally copy/that is copied by the desktop client is the view page, which is HTML with the image embedded, rather than the image itself, so doesn't embed. The oembed endpoint allows you to convert that view page to the embeddable image URL.

2 minutes ago, Colonel_mortis said:

Gyazo images aren't embedded because the URL that users normally copy/that is copied by the desktop client is the view page, which is HTML with the image embedded, rather than the image itself, so doesn't embed. The oembed endpoint allows you to convert that view page to the embeddable image URL.

Unfortunately, the reality of it is that it is all image services do that. Photobucket, imgur, etc... all show you an HTML page with the image embedded rather than the image itself but you can still right click and grab the image URL and that will embed.

I'm not saying that the final result will be "no", I am just playing devil's advocate here ;) .

23 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Unfortunately, the reality of it is that it is all image services do that. Photobucket, imgur, etc... all show you an HTML page with the image embedded rather than the image itself but you can still right click and grab the image URL and that will embed.

I'm not saying that the final result will be "no", I am just playing devil's advocate here ;) .

I get that, but with imgur the direct links, and BBCode for embedding, is displayed to the right of the image when you submit it, I've not used photobucket, and puush copies a direct, currently embeddable link to the clipboard. I haven't used gyazo or lightshot, but it's my understanding that both of them are desktop clients that allow you to take a screenshot, then directly uploads that screenshot to their services and copies the URL to the clipboard. Currently, to make it embed, you have to paste the URL into the address bar, then right click on the resulting image and copy the image URL from there, then paste it into the editor for it to embed. By simply adding the gyazo oembed endpoint to the list of supported endpoints, that can be simplified to just pasting the URL directly into the editor, and the rest will be done transparently. It's less effort to add support for gyazo than it is for one person to go through that process once, let alone every time they post a sceenshot.

• 1 month later...

Archived