How do you handle backups?

I am using a custom script to create a local backup of files and database and then i set another server to go and get the backup and save it ^_^

Many users use Amazon for this and you may find some related plugins.... It's up to you who you trust and what way is better for you....

I do something very similar to @ASTRAPI.  I use rsync / rsnapshot to run custom scripts that dump the database and archive the file system and then SCP the DB and TAR automatically to a second server.  

Also means I can type in one command to have the system execute an entire backup for me before I upgrade.  The second server I have is in the same datacenter, so the transfer is near instantaneous for my couple of small sites.

The detail that make the difference is that i use the remote server to login to the main server and get the backup and not the opposite as it is a security risk ^_^

If a user find a way to hack the main server then he will be able to login to the backup server and maybe delete also backups so it is better to not push backups from main server to backup server.....

29 minutes ago, ASTRAPI said:

The detail that make the difference is that i use the remote server to login to the main server and get the backup and not the opposite as it is a security risk ^_^

If a user find a way to hack the main server then he will be able to login to the backup server and maybe delete also backups so it is better to not push backups from main server to backup server.....

That's what I do as well.

4 hours ago, ASTRAPI said:

hat i use the remote server to login to the main server and get the backup

so you're logging in to the main server which serves the site, pull down the files and close the connection - if somebody cracks the main server, they won't get the backups. good idea.

1 hour ago, jacboy said:

so you're logging in to the main server which serves the site, pull down the files and close the connection - if somebody cracks the main server, they won't get the backups. good idea.

You can also fxp the files from the main server to the backup server with a user account that it won't be able to delete files, with the advantage of the main server being able to upload the backup right after it have finished it. I don't use that, but it possible.

I use a script that it will upload the backup to a Dropbox account. The app permission in Dropbox won't let it definitively delete files, so even if someone hack my server he won't be able to delete my backups.

Dropbox have some very good advantages, because even if you delete your backups it will be always possible to recover them(unless you definitively delete them), which means theoretically unlimited space. Imagine you are in the year 2030, with IPS 7.2 and you want to remember IPS4, you can go to your dropbox and recover a Backup from 2016 and try it hehe 

PS: Time to recover deleted files

Dropbox Business - No limit
Dropbox Pro - 1 Year
Dropbox Free - 30 days

Archived