Auto Thread creation when user group is Auto-Promoted

Neej

Hello, just a simple suggestion that would be quite useful.

In the User Group settings where a user can be automatically promoted based upon X amount of post or X amount of days. It would be very handy if there was an extra option to allow for an automated forum thread to be created to a specific section of the forum which tells everyone that a user has been promoted.

Here is a mockup of how I imagine it could look.

promotion_idea.jpg

• Management

Noting that we do in fact have more group promotion enhancements planned, I think this would likely be a niche feature. I might suggest checking out the Rules application in the Marketplace, however, as it's quite possible this can be achieved. 

53 minutes ago, Lindy said:

Noting that we do in fact have more group promotion enhancements planned, I think this would likely be a niche feature. I might suggest checking out the Rules application in the Marketplace, however, as it's quite possible this can be achieved. 

I did install that app but it seemed very complicated and I couldn't figure out how to set the rule. I guess I will try ask someone for help with it. 

I guess what I'm really after in its most simplest form is not an auto forum thread but just some sort of notification either in ACP or modcp that a user has been auto promoted. 

1 hour ago, Neej said:

I guess what I'm really after in its most simplest form is not an auto forum thread but just some sort of notification either in ACP or modcp that a user has been auto promoted. 

the changes could be displayed on streams... like display name changes. my opinion.

Here is one simple formula to do it with rules:

1. Create a custom action that will do your member promotion (instead of using core IPS functionality). This way it is controlled by rules, and you can perform any number of corollary actions very easily at the same time.
  2. Create a rule that is assigned to the custom action that defines what the custom action should do. (Checks promotion conditions, changes the member group, creates the topics/notifications, etc).
  3. Trigger that custom action anytime you like to check for the correct conditions and perform the promotion if necessary. A good candidate event would be "member logged in", or you could even schedule the custom action to run automatically and bulk process all your members on a daily basis. That way it would catch them even if they hadn't logged in.

For your convenience, I've put together a ruleset that you can use as a framework to customize to your liking. Here is an overview of it:

Rule: Trigger custom action when member logs in
  • Event: Member logged in to system
  • Conditions: None
  • Actions:
    • Promote Members Accordingly (Trigger custom action: Promote Members Accordingly)
Rule: Custom Action Rule: Promote Members Accordingly
  • Event: Action triggered: Promote Members Accordingly
  • Conditions: ( match all conditions )
    • Member is in a certain member group (Member is in the promotable member group)
    • NOT Member attribute values (Member joined within the last 240 days)
  • Actions:
    • Change the primary group of a member (Change member's primary group)

All you need to do is edit the Custom Action Rule which defines what the custom action does, make sure the member group conditions and promotion group action is set correctly, and then add any other actions you would like to happen (such as sending the notification).

Good luck!

P.S.
I know there is a slight learning curve to rules since you're basically programming your own site... but if you manage to pick up the concepts, then you'll be able to do all sorts of amazing and cool things on your own without the risk or frustration associated with outsourcing for custom plugins.

member-promotion-rules.xml

Archived