BANNED MEMBERS BEING INCLUDED IN BULK EMAILS

Hawkesburycouple

Prior to version 4 when a site member was banned or flagged as a spammer their profile was placed into the BANNED member group automatically. 

With the release of version 4 by default this member group no longer exists with banned members being included in the sites default member group.  While a banned member cannot access the site we have found that with them now being included in the sites default member group all banned members are included when sending out Bulk Emails. 

Perhaps some consideration might be given to going back to how banned members were managed in version 3 so that members who are banned or flagged as being spammers are not included in bulk emails.

6 hours ago, Hawkesburycouple said:

Prior to version 4 when a site member was banned or flagged as a spammer their profile was placed into the BANNED member group automatically.

Sorry but it was the same in 3.4.x (at least is in 3.4.9 and has been for several years on my site) - when you ban a member, you have an option to move the user to a group.....it doesn't happen automatically.

Screenshot_34.png

I remember this becoming the norm when I upgraded from 3.1.x to 3.4.x, and adjusting my methods for banning at that time. The "Ban this member permanently" flags the account as banned - it doesn't automatically move them.

Banned members were explicitly excluded from being sent bulk emails, though it might not appear as such in the list of recipients. If you know that they are actually getting the email, and it's not just a display issue, you should report that as a bug (if it is a display issue, you should report that too, but it's obviously not quite as important).

Archived