What happened with the $0.99 Cent mobile app idea?

SJ77

6 minutes ago, Charles said:

The majority of replies indicated people were not interested.

oh no, sad day!

I was SUPER excited about this app. I would have paid $99 much less $0.99 cents.

I also have a community based on oxwall which is free but does offer a paid IOS/Android app solution.

Let me tell you I get more traffic by having an app in the market than any advertising I could ever pay for.

It's a tremendous marketing tool just to have an app sitting in the market!!!

2 minutes ago, superj707 said:

oh no, sad day!

I was SUPER excited about this app. I would have paid $99 much less $0.99 cents.

I also have a community based on oxwall which is free but does offer a paid IOS/Android app solution.

Let me tell you I get more traffic by having an app in the market than any advertising I could ever pay for.

It's a tremendous marketing tool just to have an app sitting in the market!!!

To be clear IPS was offering their own IPS app (which your users could pay 0.99), not your own white label app.  

So people would discover IPS, not your community.  

I'm not against the app idea.  All the more power to IPS to absorb more people into an IPS network of communities.  But I'm not sure I see a clear or defining benefit for admins and my own site based upon their original proposal.  

Just now, Joel R said:

To be clear IPS was offering their own IPS app (which your users could pay 0.99), not your own white label app.  

So people would discover IPS, not your community.  

I'm not against the app idea.  All the more power to IPS to absorb more people into an IPS network of communities.  But I'm not sure I see a clear or defining benefit for admins and my own site based upon their original proposal.  

Thank you Joel,

I was confused. I was expecting a blank IPS app that would have me fill in a few details to customize it for my site and then allow me to submit to the market myself as the developer.

I would really like it if it worked like that.

50 minutes ago, superj707 said:

Thank you Joel,

I was confused. I was expecting a blank IPS app that would have me fill in a few details to customize it for my site and then allow me to submit to the market myself as the developer.

I would really like it if it worked like that.

You can do that with Tapatalk BYO programme, we use it and it works very well.

• Management

People were (generally) only interested in a branded app. As we would not be developing the app in-house and would contract a mobile application development firm. Based on the quotes - for initial development, white label BYO per client, maintenance, etc. It would not be a worthwhile venture for us. The white label option would start at $1500-2000 and I don't think people are going to pay that given mobile users are largely against installing one app per site they visit. With responsive technology and a push towards native push notifications - I'm not sure what purpose a dedicated app serves other than getting your logo on others' phones.

22 hours ago, superj707 said:

xenforo has it's own app in Beta tests now!. 

and vbulletin has this as part of their native offering.

As far as I know, we have nothing. Maybe one of our 3rd party devs will jump in on this.

A quick look shows XF's is a third party resource, not their own. I've tried the vB mobile app -- obvious bias aside, it was not good. Likely for the same reason ours wasn't when we tried one... They're not a mobile app development company. 

Certainly, with mobile often accounting for half or more of a community's traffic, it's a very important aspect, but our research has shown that there's declining interested in the app-per-site model. That's why we were exploring the option of an IPS specific app that would be compatible with all IPS communities, but the feedback was clear: white label apps are preferred. We're not interested in that model at a price that would be sustainable for clients, so we're going to press on monitoring mobile technologies and improving the native mobile experience. 

15 minutes ago, Lindy said:

People were (generally) only interested in a branded app. As we would not be developing the app in-house and would contract a mobile application development firm. Based on the quotes - for initial development, white label BYO per client, maintenance, etc. It would not be a worthwhile venture for us. The white label option would start at $1500-2000 and I don't think people are going to pay that given mobile users are largely against installing one app per site they visit. With responsive technology and a push towards native push notifications - I'm not sure what purpose a dedicated app serves other than getting your logo on others' phones.

A quick look shows XF's is a third party resource, not their own. I've tried the vB mobile app -- obvious bias aside, it was not good. Likely for the same reason ours wasn't when we tried one... They're not a mobile app development company. 

Certainly, with mobile often accounting for half or more of a community's traffic, it's a very important aspect, but our research has shown that there's declining interested in the app-per-site model. That's why we were exploring the option of an IPS specific app that would be compatible with all IPS communities, but the feedback was clear: white label apps are preferred. We're not interested in that model at a price that would be sustainable for clients, so we're going to press on monitoring mobile technologies and improving the native mobile experience. 

I appreciate you taking the time to explain the logic behind the decision. I have to say that if given a choice I wouldn't at all mind paying as part of my subscription 6 month fees to be part of an IPS specific app. If that's what works best for IPS, I would STILL be on board. Lots of my users are asking for an app and I find that tapatalk is not good for IPS4

@Lindy

Can't IPS try to do a deal with an app provider like Tapatalk? If they supported all the apps, Pages, Blog, Gallery etc I am sure people would use them. I know of sites which used to use IP.Content/Pages which recieved praise, yet have moved to Wordpress just so that the app supports their articles.

I am certain that is some way to move forward and if the topic above is the one which I think it is (I haven't looked) I personally felt more was in favour.

Why we need an app? As most mobile browsers can have full screen and can produce a shortcut (link) on your mobile desktop .. and our IPS package has a responsive layout to deal with all mobile devices .. that said .. it is very simple to get a branded name app made (cheap) .. if the app has just a browser function that only is locked to your domain .. tweak CSS further .. make an in-app loop icon . have some fixed 4 button functions and that's it .. no logos or pictures need to be in-app .. what you change on the server will change your app .. improve caching .. and yes .. if needed, an extra JavaScript in-app that catch the notifications to push them to your mobile (not really needed) ..

Ok, as far as I followed the whole discussions about app developments in different threads, I think it would be the best to find anyone providing a solution for

• generating an interface to receive push notifications via your forum at any time. problem via IPS mobile view would probably be that the mobile browser site has to stay open and alive for working background processes or you won't get notified, even if there is any javascript routine built on site to activate the devices notification API. We want to inform our community members regularily and easily about news and features -> push notifications, "go to this destination x now and reveal the secrets!" I think this is the main point for an app. To go on with this, it requires an integration framework sticking to the IPS core/mobile view and make it accessible via an app, if it isn't possible via a workaround in "just web based mobile view". And to go forward according to different customer wishes, integrate a third column in "notification settings" for push notifications.
  • second is the presence in app stores with your brand. but I assume, this could be neglected, if you have at least any routine, that allows you, to automatically place a shortcut icon (your forum logo) on your mobile device for quick access on first use (similar to an app installation). that's not good at all, but quick icons are the way people want to access "apps" in these times (or a lot customers will forget about you). a bookmark in your browser is not the best option. but anyway, if the mobile view works with push notification integration, you could possibly just integrate it with an app, that just dispalys the browser view (the rest is in there and native IPS).
  • third, the navigation has to be more intuitive with smooth buttons, also for the mobile menu. if I remember IPS v3 mobile view, the main menu had big icons you could touch with your (big) fingers. the menu in v4 is way to small and hence not intuitive. a modification to transform the mobile menu into a great designed menu where you can place your individual icons (for forum, downloads, blogs, chat, pages....) as well as for navigation (forward, backwards, bookmark...) would be really helpful and for sure a more usable and pleasant user experience. And it doesn't matter if via app or just mobile view.

I understand IPS it's not their job to get this app done and it might be risky concerning profitability. but they eventually might help any developer and offer help to integrate a working push notification function. The rest could be done by the community modders.

And I would definately pay for an easy solution, much more than 100 $! Lots of my customers are asking for an app since ages!

Also see this topic for further information:

On 17/07/2016 at 0:05 AM, Joey_M said:

Can't IPS try to do a deal with an app provider like Tapatalk?

Are you serious ? Take a look a their IPS customers forums and their plugins... Tapatalk plugin needs to be updated each time, because they didn't build their app with IPS conventions, so it's not a plugin or an app, it's just a folder you need to upload on your forum's ftp. I had many problems in past and now too with their app, so I've decided as many communities to disable and uninstall this app.

I hope IPS will release a native branded app for their community suite ( and not a seperate folder with such queries/functions that need to be updated after each version as some app...)

Take a look at this topic, you will understand what i mean

For me personally, I would have no interest in this. The responsive part of this works good enough for me and my members and I have received good comments how the site works on mobile compared to other competitors. Most members that visit my site are visiting to download things for there PC. While my site does offer downloads for mobile devices, a mobile app just is not needed. 

I like the mobile app for increased exposure and appeal to younger people. There is no NEED for an app as the responsive theme is very good but it certainly works to open the doors for increased traffic. Some users just won't use safari to access a web forum site on their phone. They want an app or it's a deal breaker for them. I want that traffic. My competitor is getting it all with their fancy custom app and it makes me sad that I can't even compete.

3 minutes ago, superj707 said:

I like the mobile app for increased exposure and appeal to younger people. There is no NEED for an app as the responsive theme is very good but it certainly works to open the doors for increased traffic. Some users just won't use safari to access a web forum site on their phone. They want an app or it's a deal breaker for them. I want that traffic. My competitor is getting it all with their fancy custom app and it makes me sad that I can't even compete.

Although not for me maybe for you it is. 

The reason why some clients and users of forums believe that our sites are retro is because we are still playing catch up.

Having a mobile app makes sense, most applications have a premium feel to them and although the responsive mode is brilliant, typing messages is still very dinky and navigating is especially frustrating but far better than 3.4. IPS really should try to seek developers or perhaps look to hire a sub division - as I am sure we as clients can provide the feedback required to make it work, it just depends on if we are heard and valued at the end of the day.

Archived